Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 Already

Hard to believe it is 2008 already. Time really does fly. I have just been lying low with the family the past week. Base training has been going well. I have one more month of base before the more focused training begins. On Sunday I rode alone from my house. It was a good ride and my training goals were accomplished. On Monday I rode with 3 other people near my house. The ride was going great until one of the guys wanted to adjust the seat post on his Cervelo. He accidentally broke the seat post clamp by over tightening. So we had to get him squared away with a ride. We abbreviated the route after that. The two other guys I was with wanted to go ride a large hill near before heading home. I opted to turn off and head home since I had already blown my max HR goals for most of the day. Today I ran 7 miles which was fun except for the stiff wind. However, it is definitely easier to run into a stiff wind than ride into a stiff wind in my opinion.

My first two rides on the new Rotor Rings were good. I like them a lot. I can't say I can tell a real difference on the flats. Where I can tell a difference is under load on hills. You can definitely spin much smoother than with standard chain rings. I have heard that a difference can be felt while sprinting as well, but I have not tried sprinting on them yet.

My wounds are mostly healed over. I took a lot of care to keep them covered with bandages and after they stopped weeping with Tegaderm. I read that most road rash could be in good shape in a week if cared for properly, but I didn't believe it. In the past I would neglect it and it would scab over and then be there for a month. My leg still hurts from some bruising, but the open wound is under control. I am going to create a road rash kit for the next time this happens.

I am going back to work tomorrow. After 10 or so days off it will be a change. Let's hope the housing market comes around in 2008 because my business is tied tightly to housing construction.

Happy New Year!

16 Comments:

Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Ditto on the housing market recovery.

In the meantime, we are all a year older (in USA Cycling terms) now, so time to put this additional age and wisdom to work. Glad to hear the wounds are healing and you are back pushing it on the road.

1/2/08, 2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris...
Glad to hear you're healing well.
I'm curious what you're going to put in the road rash kit... sounds like a good idea. Let us know in a post what you come up with.
Thanks, Donald

1/2/08, 6:42 AM  
Blogger Zach said...

Hey cyclistrick, I gain a year tomorrow on my birthday, so it doesn't matter to me haha.

Chris, I'll want to check out the rotor rings, sounds like a helpful addition with hill climbing. And I also agree with running into the wind being easier than riding... as for the road rash kit, my mom, who is a nurse, created one for me in April when I called home to say I crashed in a race and had a nasty road rash. contains some triple antibiotic, saline water, bandage and tape. A good addition which I'll probably add prior to this coming season is a bottle of peroxide.

1/2/08, 9:27 AM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Happy 2008 Chris!

1/2/08, 10:34 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

wow, that's a good run!

no resolutions? happy new year!

1/2/08, 11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the housing market turns around so I can sell mine and get the hell out of the midwest!
Glad your healing and back on the bike, but I'm not sure I would "plan" for future road rash! :^)

1/2/08, 3:02 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

I used this after my brush with death in September. Has everything you need and packs up easily.

1/2/08, 3:28 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Happy New Year Chris. Hope you crush your goals for the year.

Oh, excited about the new Rambo movie?

And..what the hell are rotor rings?

1/3/08, 3:55 AM  
Blogger The SullaVinos: said...

That's why I like running better than biking. For me, running, even into a stiff wind, is easier than riding into a light wind!

1/3/08, 7:37 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2008!!

1/3/08, 9:47 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

that's definitely the way to start the new year.... riding the bike!

1/3/08, 2:54 PM  
Blogger jahowie said...

After reading this I really miss riding. Glad to see that your training is going well. How is the little one?

1/4/08, 6:18 AM  
Blogger Velovera said...

Just saw your booboos! OUCH!

1/4/08, 8:20 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Good luck with your training goals for 2007! Yeah, I find that I stick much better to my workout plan when I go alone. Though, it is generally good to go with a group once a week or so to push myself!

1/4/08, 10:39 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

Hope your 2008 is going well!

Lanolin is supposed to help prevent scarring if you put it on the affected area while it heals. I found a tube of it in the prenatal section in the drugstore.

1/6/08, 10:12 AM  
Blogger TCA said...

Happy New Year Chris!

I'm glad your wounds are healing - that looked mighty sore.

It's OK for us off-roaders - if we come off we usually hit mud, grass, ditch etc... generally very little potential for sliding down a road on one's arse.

Al

1/7/08, 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home