Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008

Today is Memorial Day. This day commemorates all of the men and women who have perished while in military service to our country. Sadly, I think a lot of people just look at this as a day that gives them a long weekend. Or a day on which they get to have a barbeque. Just take some time to reflect on what today is about. People have taken their last breath, given their lives, in order to preserve the security and values of our country (no matter how flawed the policies are at times). There is no greater sacrifice that can made. Each one of these people was the most important person in the world to someone. Think about the families and friends that have lost loved ones today as well.

I got a great training ride in yesterday with the shop crew. Quite a bit of fast race pace riding and attacking. Just what my coach prescribed after such a crappy week of training. I took the Retro Rocket out and realized that I should ride it more often. It is super comfortable and makes you work hard to go fast.


Here is a picture of the Retro Rocket for you newer readers.

I have been watching the recaps of the Giro on Versus. I should have bought the package to see every stage but I didn't. The Italians are serious about winning the Giro. The racing has been awesome and the scenery even better. Contador is doing superbly for racing on short notice, but I don't think he will be wearing the pink jersey on the podium.

I think next time I make a list of something it will be Top 5. :) However, in order to finish what I started, here is #6 on "Top 10 Cheesiest Songs of All Time That You Probably Like But Won't Admit It." The song is Escape aka The Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes. Is the message that this song sends - Don't feel bad if you want to cheat on your lady because she wants to cheat too?? You tell me.

14 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

ummmmm..... no, i can't say that i like the song but i do like pina coladas.... as long as no one i know sees me drinking them. :)

5/26/08, 11:00 AM  
Blogger Zach said...

never had a Pina Coladas, and I've been legally able to drink for about 2.5 years!

Good post about Memorial Day. I agree, and it has been written in our local newspaper (as probably was in just about all newspapers across the nation) about how we are tending to forget about the real purpose of some of these holidays (Memorial Day, Easter, Christmas, Labor Day, etc.) and more likely viewing them as a time of BBQing, presents, laughters, family/friends get-togethers, etc.

My dad made a joke about the only exception of this was New Year's Day, as everyone always knows the purpose of that holiday.

Thank you all Veterans, those that died to protect our freedom, and those currently serving and protecting the same freedom we've had for over 200 years.

5/26/08, 2:58 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Great post about Memorial Day. I've had to quit ranting about it because everytime I do everybody just puts it down to "crazy rantings by the former military guy"

5/26/08, 3:49 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

allan....
"former military guys" have earned the right to go on crazy rants from time to time!

the world is definitely changing but there are those who still remember what it's all about. thanks for your post, chris.

i wonder what the next video will be.....?

5/26/08, 5:00 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

So glad you put such a wonderful acknowledgement for Memorial Day. We have Remembrance Day in November.

I'm with Blue and Allan, if it wasn't for these brave men and women from past and present, sacrificing their lives and giving their time for our freedom, were would we be?

God Bless.

ps, What will you be pulling out of the dustbin next Chris?

and

the Pina Colada song was from a very "liberal" time, ahhh the seventies.....hahahaha!!!

5/26/08, 5:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Zach - you better go get a Pina Colada before you are 24.

Allan and Blue - I just want people to remember what the day they are enjoying is all about. Not dwell on it, but just remember it.

Lily - I didn't get to enjoy the 70s like some of you lucky dogs. My fun generations were not so liberal at all.

5/26/08, 7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A good reminder. We need to not only remember those who have fallen but those still in harms way. Hopefully, we can change that by the next Memorial Day.
Glad you were able to Rocket; pushing that up your hills would be good training!
That song is so bad it made me wa nt to stop drinking Pina Colada's! :^)

5/27/08, 5:24 AM  
Blogger Neese said...

a nice post, it was certainly a day of reflection yesterday and of deep gratitude.

As for your comment, I've uploaded an additional pic :D

5/27/08, 6:49 AM  
Blogger jahowie said...

Nice post. So many forget what the day is actually for.

I completely missed the Giro!! I meant to watch, but I was too busy.

5/27/08, 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely many who died, died in the service of empire, which seems a little different from actually defending one's country.

(Full disclosure: I am the daughter of a career Air Force officer and the granddaughter of a career Army officer.)

5/27/08, 7:13 AM  
Blogger Ron George said...

I like your retro. How do you like that Brooks? Is it the swallow? Nice match up with the handlebar tap, where'd u get it from?

5/27/08, 7:34 AM  
Blogger AMR said...

Can't remember the last time I had one... Sad really! Looking forward to the next one, it might be in Maui!!!! Never heard of the song, true!
Love the retro racer, I must post a pic of my Trek 370 Fast Track. Well, that is when I stop writing so much about racing and training...

5/28/08, 4:31 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I had that terrible, awful song repeating in my head the entire 50km ride this morning because I listened to it last night! But only 2 lines of the chorus were repeated, 'if you like pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain'....

5/29/08, 1:54 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

good lord, that song! now it's stuck in my head too.t

5/29/08, 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home