Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thursday

I decided to do the Lake Travis Cycling Club pseudo race rather than driving the 60 mile round trip to do the Thursday Crit. It was a great workout. We had about 15 people. The first 3 miles roll out neutral and then the pace picks up to race pace. The group had a good paceline going until we hit the first significant hill. At that point a selection of 5 of us got away and were never caught. After the turn around I decided where I was going to attack. I had the perfect opportunity when the pace slowed about 1 mile before the finish which is the Bee Cave town line sign. I opened a gap and brought one guy with me. We worked together for a half mile or so and then another 2 were able to bridge up. There were 3 of us from Southwest Cycle Sport and one guy from Hotel San Jose. The only problem was the guy from San Jose is one of the best sprinters in Texas. I tried to get away about 1/4 mile from the finish, but had San Jose on my ass. I pulled and broke off to the right hoping one of my teammates could come around him and win the sprint. No such luck. Not even close. Oh well. It was fun.

Here is #9 on the list of "Top 10 Cheesiest Songs of All Time That You Probably Like But Won't Admit It." You know him. You love him. Oldman was past President of his fan club. BERTIE HIGGINS!

10 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

sucks about that sprinter sticking with you for the win. You'll get him next time.

I feel like I can be a good sprinter, my problem is sticking with the leaders to make the sprinting useful. So far, every time I was coming to the finish with one or two other riders for a sprint, I always won the sprint among us, but the sprint would always be for no higher than 20th place, thus making the sprinting useless.

5/15/08, 8:28 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Don't worry, I hate sprinters as well. It was great you were able to break away on that hill though! With an extra weet-bix before the race you should be able to pull it off

5/16/08, 3:15 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

And yeah, I do like that song, nice for relaxing to. And just in case you don't know what a weetbix is http://www.weetbix.com.au/health/health.aspx

They're great when followed with vegemite on toast!

5/16/08, 3:17 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris, you need more beer in your diet, bro.....

5/16/08, 4:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beer; he needs a bottle of jack and a shot glass right now Blue!
Man, I don't know if I can take much more of this cheese.
The worse part about this is, both these songs were popular when I was in high school!
Thank god I was listening to Grand Funk Railroad and BTO back then! :^)
Awesome race dude. Sounds like you had a strategy and it almost worked out. Was any part of this race on that long hill climb up to the Oasis restaurant? If so, that is a tough course. Glad to hear you aren't picking any asphalt out of your leg this week too! :^)
Have a great weekend.

5/16/08, 5:35 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

You had me laughing Chris about your comment back to me. So, I may take you up on that weekly Q&A session. I'm going to look for a pipe this weekend. :)
Meanwhile- I'll have a beer for you... and just KNOW you'll get that sprinter next time.
You need a different song in your head like... "I want to be a rockstar" by Nickelback.. instead of "Key Largo" by Mr. Bertie!
ROCK ON!

5/16/08, 6:18 AM  
Blogger ScottH said...

Plan. Executed. Love that.

The result isn't the issue, its how you got there.

Sev.

5/16/08, 9:05 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

bertie who?

5/17/08, 9:56 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

You are scaring me with your musical selections! Any more of these and we may need an intervention.

When one is not a sprinter (as I am not), the only option is the element of surprise and the possibility of getting out ahead for the long and fast trip to the finish so the sprinters are not close enough to catch. And I keep reminding myself of that. And going to the track to work on the sprints just in case.

5/19/08, 3:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Zach - it happens. I just have to get better at sprinting.

Whitey - dude, I just got a box of Weet-Bix today at the store. I didn't even know they had them here.

Blue - you could be on to something.

Oldman - more like ELO and BOC.

Donald - probably not. If it comes down to a sprint with that dude, I am setting myself up to lose. I will have to win it before the sprint.

Lauren - stop playing. Bertie who?? HA HA

Rick - exactly. See my comment to Donald.

5/19/08, 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home