Saturday, April 19, 2008

2nd Annual People I Admire Post

It is that time again. After thinking hard about the past and the present, the 2008 list is as follows:


Jimmy Rockford - because he showed me that everybody takes a beating sometimes.


Roddy Piper - because anyone who was a guest on his WWF show, Piper's Pit, got their ass kicked. He also was in the best movie fight scene ever in a film called "They Live."


Bill Richardson - because this guy had some great ideas about how to make things right for our country. Unfortunately he can't campaign for shit. He would be a smart VP choice for Obama.


Barbaro (deceased) - because he kept fighting for life right until the end.


George Hincapie - because he does his job well, he does his job "clean" and he seems like a nice guy.


Carlos Hathcock (deceased) - because he was the best US Marine Scout Sniper in history. He had 93 confirmed kills during the Vietnam conflict, one of which was at 2500 yards.


Jack Lambert - because when I was growing up around Pittsburgh, PA, he was the baddest muthafucker in town.


Quinton "Rampage" Jackson - because he doesn't duck fighters and beats almost all of them. This picture to me really shows the difference in emotion for all of us in winning versus losing.


Warren Buffett - because he has shown that smarts, hard work, and sticking to a strategy and principles can pay off BIG.


Michael Scott - this one is self explanatory.

15 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

I liked that last one haha!

Yeah, George Hincapie is great, I was hoping either him or Leipheimer would win the TdF.

Roddy Piper was the man when I used to watch WWF.

4/19/08, 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.... but this is the best fight scene of all times.

4/19/08, 1:56 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Barbaro.

Being a former professional equestrian, I totally understand the kind of proud spirit that was Barbaro, he was the epitome of heart, competiveness and breeding.

You could see in his eyes that he was wanting to give up after all the surgeries and stall rest, but he didn't, he sruggled through right up until the injection...a true hero....

4/19/08, 5:16 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

hathcock was god-like. steady, calm, patient. the man.

4/19/08, 8:33 PM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

Good list, Chris

4/20/08, 2:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Zach - it would have been nice, but I don't think either of them are going to get it done.

Wife - that is a close second.

Lily - it was a very sad thing to follow. Poor horse.

Blue - did you read any of the books about him?

Syd - thanks.

4/20/08, 8:11 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

I saw something on T.V about the force of Quinton's punch, I think it may have been discovery channel. Glad to see you've recovered!

4/20/08, 8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You don't admire any women? :)

I agree most wholeheartedly about Barbaro. I can still get teary eyed when I think about it.

4/21/08, 6:37 AM  
Blogger jahowie said...

This is a great post!! I always liked Piper when I was a kid. I always voted for the bad guys for some reason. :-)

4/21/08, 7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, interesting list. I am hoping that some of these are tongue in cheek (right?).
I try not to look up to anyone and that way, I can feel better about myself.
But if I did choose to write a list, I might want to add a Bobby Kennedy, Mother Teresa or Lech Walesa to mine. Sort of like the peacemakers myself.
But your right; Michael Scott is a given.

4/21/08, 10:23 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Good stuff. I have to say one of the people I admire most is also on your list... Hincapie. I echo what you wrote. For some reason, I too have always followed George's efforts. I would really like to check out the facility he and his brother have built in Greenville.

4/22/08, 4:42 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

hincapie! Oh, but I don't like him for his effort, or his mind.... :)

4/22/08, 9:26 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

rowdy roddy piper! yeah!

4/24/08, 10:53 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

yes chris, i've read the books about hathcock. talk about being "driven". i think we've lost some of that in our modern politically correct world.

4/26/08, 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest that you include Matthew LaClair.

More here.

4/28/08, 5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home