Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday

I had a pretty good lunch ride today. After almost 2 weeks off the bike I didn't feel very strong, but I expected worse. After about 2 minutes on the road some dude on a Wilier passed me without even looking over or saying hello. Then we came to a hill and the dude just dies. So I passed him and said hello. After the top of the hill he passed me again and kept looking back at me for the next 5 miles. I think he thought we were racing or something, but I was just out for a spin. Some people are just TOOLS I guess. I got in a solid 45 minutes of riding which is all I can manage due to time available at lunch.

Anyone out there ever use the tubular clincher tires? TUFO makes a few varieties. I like the idea of tubular clinchers for crits, but would like feedback from anyone who has actually tried them.

My wife went out of town today and won't return until Thursday. This is the first time that it has just been The Bug and I for an extended period of time. Tonight went well. I picked him up at daycare and we headed out for pizza. He ate most of the sausage off of the whole pizza. He is great. He kept saying MORE, MORE, MORE. So I just kept feeding him sausage. We came home and played outside for a bit. Then I threw him in the tub and put him to bed. Only 2 more nights! I told him tomorrow I would take him out on the bike. He was pointing at it in the garage tonight. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Can't tell you how many times I have tossed a wave or a "hi" to another cyclist and received the cold shoulder in return. Seems more of a roady thing than off-road though.
Not sure if it is because it takes too much cardio-vascular effort to squeeze out a response or maybe it causes an interruption in their cadence, but there must be a GOOD reason why they don't acknowledge your greeting; right?
Mr. Mom. Thank god for Pizza, am I right? :^)

4/10/07, 7:36 AM  
Blogger Here and there said...

That snobbery happens to me too on occasion, makes me a little gun-shy now to say hello to other cyclists. Somehow getting the non-hello response back is such a downer. I think they should hand out color-coded helmets. Yellow helmets for the unfriendly, White for the nice ones.

4/10/07, 8:26 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

yeah, i have to agree with old man.

something about the roadies. mtbikers always say or wave hi. roadies are just too cool for hi.

4/10/07, 12:54 PM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

Before too much condemnation is heaped upon us, I have to admit I might have missed an opportunity to wave the other day. I was on my 79th mile and just kind of watching my shadow for distraction when I tune in only to see another rider headed the other way on the other side of the road. I waved but it was too late. He would have had to turn to see me and perhaps thought I was ignoring him.

So, hope he's generous and doesn't think I'm a snob.

4/10/07, 2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I was over-exaggerating and perpetuating a myth that all roadies are snobs and unfriendly. I am one. That is how I first got into cycling. So, it is probably unfair to paint a picture with such a wide brush. I think one of the problems is (as Syd said) that we do get into a groove on a long ride and often don't even see the other person until its too late. And road bikes are quiet, unlike bouncing, clanking constantly shifting, MTB bikes. Roadies can slip by and you never hear them. But keep on waving is my motto.
Which leads to anther isssue: stop sneaking up on me! I have had more riders come up from behind without me noticing or hearing them, only to burst by at some point, right off my shoulder and practically send me into the ditch from surprise. Stop doing that!

4/11/07, 5:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Some people are just not into the social aspect of cycling. Not much you can do about it I guess.

4/11/07, 6:00 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

That's why I circle around and throw water bottles at those people. A-holes ...

4/11/07, 8:59 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bryan.... you hung out with kerkove too much growing up! do you do the "nice helmet" gig too?

peace out, yo!

4/13/07, 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home