Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday - Finally

Not much going on this week. Training as been OK. I substituted a ride with a run on Wednesday and am regretting it now. Running requires a whole different set of muscles and I am a bit sore now. But, it was a kick ass workout for sure. It was on my interval night. It is pretty easy to get your HR up while running compared to biking.

My dad is visiting this weekend. I picked him up at the airport today. We are now back at my house and he is already sleeping in the chair. I don't see him that much anymore - he lives in Pennsylvania. When I do I realize how old he is getting. Time flies it seems.

Though I consider myself a pretty good wrench on the bike, I had a problem I couldn't solve. I couldn't get the front derailleur dialed in on the Fort after I built it up with parts from the other bike. The issue was that when on the big chain ring and the large cog on the rear cassette, the chain would want to jump down to the small chain ring in the front. No matter how many times I tried to adjust it, I had the same issue. So, I started looking at it and figured it was a chain alignment issue with the cassette. Southwest Cycle Sport talked to SRAM and it was determined that I had the wrong bottom bracket for the TruVativ crank I was using. The TV crank that I use has a shallow seat on the ISIS bottom bracket. The TV bottom brackets take the shallow seat into account. The FSA ISIS bottom bracket that I was using didn't take the shallow seat into account and was holding the crank arms too far out. That was what was causing the drive train alignment issue. So FYI - ISIS is not ISIS. It is best to match the brand of the crank and bottom bracket. They threw a TruVativ Giga Pipe SL on the FORT and voila! Perfect alignment.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't attempt to run these days, except for my life. More power to you. Old knees can't take it.
My Dad always sleeps at my house; usually with one of the two dogs sitting on top of him.
I have the same set up FSA crank with Giga Pipe BB and there have been no problems. Of course now that I say that, the thing will explode tonight on the way home!
Have a great weekend!

6/22/07, 2:04 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

i was just thinking the same thing - that it is best to match the brand of the crank and bottom bracket and blah, blah, blah.

i don't like running much either, but i'm doing it two days a week now to get ready for cyclocross.

and i find it helps me a bunch, especially the intervals. you're right, it's a good workout.

6/22/07, 5:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - I didn't have issues with it on my other frame, but I did this one. It is all worked out now and ready to roll.

Lauren - someday if we meet we can talk about the importance of chain alignment and spindle length. :)

6/22/07, 6:54 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

mmmm ... running. Love it. Just like the bike more right now.

6/23/07, 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home