Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kick Me in the Nuts on Sunday

I headed out this morning to ride with the guys at Southwest Cycle Sport. The Sunday ride is typically 40-50 miles at a moderate pace. I had the drive train issue that I posted about a few days ago, it has been raining daily, and my dad is in town, so all of my riding this week was on a Spinner. So, today I wanted a nice long productive ride. Would I get that?? FUCK NO! 25 minutes into the ride I was feeling great. Then PSSSSSSSHHHH. Flat. I pulled off to change the tire and I saw (felt) that I hit something on the edge of the tire which resulted in a pinch flat. I am not sure what it was but it sounded metal. The tire was abraided, but not really damaged. The other 5 guys waited for me to change the tire. We were off again. 10 yards down the road I started to tell Pete a story and PSSSSSHHHHHH. I pulled over and there was a tear in the tire. I hit something that went not only through the tire, but through the rim strip underneath. They are building a mall in the area and the sharp debris on the road is just horrible. I guess it was just not my day. I called my wife and told the guys to have a good ride. For the next 30 minutes I sat at a picnic table just off the road waiting for my sag wagon. Sighhh :(

12 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

Chris--bummer. I hate that feeling! I go through periods where I get so many flats.... Maybe some new tires and a new rim strip are in your future...
you'll get 'em on the next ride...

6/24/07, 1:29 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

doh! I've been lucky to avoid the double-flat blowout-type thing.

sucks about the ride, definitely.

6/24/07, 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it bro. Missed my bike this weekend stuck in DFW on the way home from Vegas.

Dude, you need some new tread. Pick up a couple of pairs of Michy Pro Race 2's and send me one set. I'm good for it.

Glad to hear your pops is visiting.

Adios from the 76015

6/24/07, 8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what tire you are running, but not many could survive a direct hit from construction debris.
Sorry about your shortened ride; there is nothing worse than missing one when your time is limited to begin with.

6/25/07, 5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider yourself lucky that you could call somebody to pick you up. A couple years ago, I rode over something large and metal. It was only at the next stop light that I saw that the tread on my back tire was horiontally sliced neatly across, but the casing was still intact. Any more than that and I would've been screwed, and would've been hitching a lift back to the bridge.

6/25/07, 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer. What tires? I have had good luck warding off the debris gremlins with Vittoria Rubino Pros and Corsa CX; trying out the Michy Pro Race 2's on the Colnago but not enough experience with them yet.

Hear you on the lack of riding. Only bike time I have had in 2 weeks is the 30km on the rental MTB last Fri. Tomorrow I am back on the road. Yippee!

6/25/07, 8:31 AM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

bontrager hard cases work pretty good for me. That being said, the rear tire on the last set got sliced by a broken beer bottle in the dark of the morning. But usually they're rock solid and they're my first choice for training miles

6/25/07, 11:43 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

doh!

yeah, good thing you could get a hold of your sag to come get ya.

walking back home a few miles in cycling shoes aint pretty.

6/25/07, 12:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Kim - I have no choice now.

Bryan - lucky dude.

Sully - Do I look like the Bank of America?

Oldman - yeah, I was bummed. It was such a nice day too.

Fendergal - That would have sucked. I guess you could always call a taxi up there, right? Where you been lately?

Rick - they are Vittoria Rubino Pro Lite I believe (going off of memory). I have bad luck with most tires it seems.

Syd - thanks for the tip. I will have to check them out. Looks like I need to buy a new set of tires. Do you have tubular wheels for your races?

Lauren - I think in that case, I stash my bike and my shoes in a bush and walk to the car barefoot and then come back and pick them up.

6/25/07, 3:07 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

If it was the 'Lite' version ... there is the problem. 'Lite' is tire maker speak for "we shave off a few grams in return for a tire that falls apart at the mere site of a sharp object". ;-)

6/26/07, 7:52 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

I second Syd's Bontrager Hard Case recommendation -- I got more than 4,000 miles on a pair last summer, with only one puncture. If you wait until your local Trek dealer has the 'Tour' sale in July, they're 20 bucks each.

6/26/07, 6:37 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i hate flats....

6/27/07, 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home