Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Are You Lucky?

On Friday of last week, the wife and I had the day to ourselves. We were both on vacation and her sister and family had just left. So we decided to do two things we never get to do with a small child - go to the bookstore and then go to the movies. As we were walking from the parking lot to the Barnes & Noble we passed some stores and one was Lucky Brand Jeans. My wife said, let's go get you a new pair of jeans. Fine I say. I really hate clothes shopping. I ended up trying on about 5 pairs of jeans until I found the perfect pair. Basically things were just being handed in to me to try on and I was not paying attention. So great, I had my jeans picked out and we are ready go. As I was folding the jeans back up I noticed the price tag. Keep in mind, I wear Levi's and Old Navy jeans. I ask my wife if this is a joke. Maybe we are on candid camera?? She apparently knew that these jeans were expensive before we entered the store. $112 DOLLARS?? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? FOR JEANS?? At the time I was wearing $29 Old Navy jeans. "Oh, you deserve it", she said. FINE. WTF could make a pair of jeans cost that much? I am pretty sure that they are made of denim. They are blue. They have a fly. Yup, jeans. I am still not sure why they cost so much, but oh well.


Yeah? Why don't I feel lucky?

I got another key piece for the Retro Rocket via EBay. NIB early 80's Record High Flange Hubs! SWEEEET! The vintage shops sell them for $350. I got them for $135. Quite a score. I hope to have it done by Summer.

Tomorrow are the Thursday Night Crits. I fully intend to improve this week. I have had a good week of training. 4 solid days. The weather is looking like it may not cooperate though. I have my fingers crossed. I will not be able to do the crits next week or the week after because I have to go to Europe for work.

14 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

that's a heck of a score on the hubs! i love ebay!

$112 for a pair of jeans? wtf! you gotta be kidding me! :) if my wife had told me that "i was worth it" i'd have thought new helmet, new bib shorts, new socks.... lol. just kidding. i buy levis at kohl's for $29 a pair.

good luck at the crit!

peace out, yo!

3/21/07, 7:16 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

That one pair of jeans cost more than the combined total of the five pairs I wear most. They all came from Gap. And they were all cheaper than Blue's Levis.

But he's right -- I could do a lot with 112 bucks.

3/21/07, 7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sure your wife is wondering how on earth a bicycle hub could possibly be worth $135.

Her to her friends: "And then we went and got him some $112 jeans"

Wife friends nod in approval

Her: "And THEN after I treated him so well, he went home and spent A HUNDRED and THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS on a bicycle hub! WTF! I could buy a whole bike for $135!!"

Friends: "NO! Oh my, Oh dear"

3/21/07, 7:33 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

$112 is a lot for jeans. but not for shoes.

see you can wear cheap clothing, but not cheap shoes.

3/21/07, 9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

$112 (lucky jeans) - $29 (regular jeans) + $135 (cost of hubs on eBay) = $218 total.
Hey, you still got a deal. I guess you are Lucky after all!
P.S. I bought a pair of Lucky's on sale in Chicago for only $29 last summer. Of course, the hotel room was $129, the dinner out that night was $100+ and gas was probably $60 there and back. So, my Lucky's cost at least $318.

3/22/07, 5:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - Thanks man.

Bryan - all jeans feel the same don't they? That is how I see it anyway. Sometimes the cheaper ones are even more comfy.

Trac - have you been talking to my wife? Actually, she is pretty good about the bike spending as long as I do it in increments and as long as I do a lot of riding. But $112 for jeans???

Lauren - I actually agree with you on that one. I have spend hundreds on a pair of shoes. My idea has always been to buy very nice suits, but fantastic shoes, belts and Ties. I think they make more of a difference than spending another $500 on the suit.

Oldman - I outshopped you bro. HA!

3/22/07, 5:58 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

You should start a new blog. "Mr. Fancy Pants Goes to Europe".

3/22/07, 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice jeans pretty boy. Did you send them off to the dry cleaners for a good starching and crease down the middle? Don't forget to roll the cuff when you wear them.

Adios from the 16801.

3/22/07, 12:51 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

"Mr. Fancy Pants."

HAHAHAHAHA

Enjoy the new duds and the new hub.

3/22/07, 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but you forgot to tell them how good they look! Totally worth it.

3/22/07, 5:25 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

Hey, I look good, too. Just ask me. And I only spent 20 bucks.

3/22/07, 5:34 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

poor chris.... :)

the abuse never ends!

the hubs make it all worthwhile.

3/23/07, 5:53 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ohhh, you are all missing the point...you have to see it from a woman's point of view. If YOU get a pair of $112 jeans, then SHE gets something of that value...see, it all balances out. My husband buys a broken down truck to convert into a swampbuggy (don't ask), I buy a new road bike! We are even and eveyone is happy! Life is Good!

3/23/07, 9:39 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i'd rather have a new road bike than an old pick-up to convert to a swamp buggy....

that's from a guy's point of view...

peace out, yo!

3/24/07, 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home