Monday, March 12, 2007

Rain Rain Go Away

We met at my house at 11am for a road ride yesterday. It had been threatening to rain all morning and I hoped it would hold off. Did it? Of FUCKING course not. 9 miles into it and BA-BOOM! It was pouring. As were were making a left on McGregor from Fitzhugh Road, I saw a guy fixing a flat by the stop sign. I peddled toward him and asked, "Have everything you need?" He said, "Yeah, thanks." I said, "OK. Have a good OOOPPPHHH!" And there I was laying on the road still holding onto my bars with my feet still clipped in. The wheels kicked out as I was making the corner. It happened so fast I honestly didn't let go of the bars. Sunflower and Bunny thought I was gonna be a hurtin' unit because apparently it looked like I drug my face on the road. However, it was my helmet that took the blow. A bit of road rash, but I am fine. BTW, isn't Lycra awesome? Not a mark on it but underneath my hip was bloody. Great stuff. We decided to cut the ride short and headed home from that point finishing at a very short 18 miles.

I am on vacation this week and hope to get some good rides in. I will do the Thursday night crits this week. I am looking forward to mixing it up. We will see how it goes. My expectations are very low at this point.

Have a good week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I've seen books and internet discussions where they go over the art of the fall. You're supposed to practice tucking and rolling and what not... When I crash, I never have a chance to think about such things. One second you're just riding along, the next you're on the ground saying WTF? At what point are you supposed to execute the James T. Kirk style judo roll?

3/12/07, 5:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

PFFFT. Tuck and roll my ass. You have no time to react most of the time so you are pretty much helpless. I guess you could always jump up and give it a good roll just to save face.

3/12/07, 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With me, crashes take place in slow motion. You see what's coming, then it's "oooooooooohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt."

Tucking and rolling is a good concept, but I'd rather spend my energy looking for a way out.

Anyway, Chris, to answer your question, I haven't changed teams, but we have changed shops. Our team coach (who works for this same shop) got us an excellent deal with Cannondale. We even have a custom team paint job. Really cool! I feel so pro. Too bad I am so ambivalent about racing this year.

3/12/07, 7:17 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

thursday night crit! fun!

don't crash!

stay near the front.

3/12/07, 9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank god I never fall! Yeah, right.
And damned if I have ever been able to execute the formentioned gymnastics. I just fall. And hit the ground hard. And pick up another scar. Such is life in the saddle.

3/13/07, 12:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Fendergal - snap a few pics of the new ride when you get it. I would like to see what a pro rig looks like :)

Lauren - my goal is just to not get lapped. lol.

Oldman - the scars are cool for sure. I am sitting here picking at my knee scab right now. But the soreness after a crash now is something that I didn't have 10 years ago. I guess I am just turning into a big PUSS.

3/13/07, 5:30 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Oh dang that sounds just nasty - the rain and the RR - ouch. How's the face and the hip?

Hang tight my man - drugs are a beautiful thing - take some and ride on!

3/13/07, 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home