Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Night Crit

The outcome was much better than last week. I finished about 2/3 lap down with a small group of others. I definitely didn't finish last in Cat. 5 either. My goal this week was to improve on last week, so I definitely did that. I still have a long way to go before I am a contender. It will come in small steps I guess. I stayed with the pack for as long as I could tonight, then slid off the back with a few others. The race was 30 minutes and I averaged 21.5 mph. The track has a lot of corners and there is one 180 degree bend in the middle that really takes away your momentum.


Here is a satellite image of the Driveway Race Track that the crits are held on. It is about 3/4 mile long. You can see the 180 in the middle. The start/finish is on the straight at the bottom of the photo.


Team Hotel San Jose puts on the Thursday crit series and do a fantastic job.


A consecutive series of photos of the Open 1-4 race which is run last.

So now I have a question for all of you road racers out there. Since I could race in the 35+ class, should I? What are the pros and cons of doing so versus just racing Cat. 5?

12 Comments:

Blogger bryan said...

Based on what little I know, you should stay in 5s. The masters stuff around here is for Cat 2/3-type guys who are slipping a little. But they're still freaky fast.

Oh, and nice ride tonight. Experience is huge.

3/22/07, 8:45 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Yeah, I agree w/Bryan. Cat 5 is usually easier than masters around here.

Great job hanging with the pack! You will be a contender. Baby steps.

That track looks super-fun for a crit.

3/22/07, 8:55 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

you'll find a lot of ungodly fast 35+ guys..... lots of experience out there.

keep at it, brother!

peace out, yo!

3/23/07, 5:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd have been dropped in the first ten seconds, if that's any consolation. Nice blog.

3/23/07, 5:53 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just need to lose weight and get faster. HA! Should be no problem.

3/23/07, 6:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some of the best guys here at the local Wednesday night crit are 40+, so don't count out the old guys. Of course, I'm not one of them! I am the lower end of the curve.
Congrats on your finish.

3/23/07, 7:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

"old" "35+" and "40+"....I think I'm starting to have a mid-life crisis...I will be 40 soon....



I think you did great in your race, 21.5 mph is pretty speedy to me :)

3/23/07, 9:31 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

yeah, 35+ can be any category and above age 35.

5 is all beginners, so it's good to stay there until you have more experience.

sounds like you totally improved on the week prior and that's cool!

3/23/07, 10:20 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

Hey Chris, I am so stoked for you! Also, thanks for the info on the bike rental. I just emailed the shop. I'll be out there from the 9th until the 12th of April. I'm thinking of hitting up this crit. Maybe just to watch, or maybe to get my arse kicked...
Anywhoo, keep in touch!

3/23/07, 6:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sweet - that would be great! You can watch me get my butt kicked. If you have time, let's try to take a ride on of the days.

3/23/07, 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work bro. Hang w/ the 5's. Everyone's pegged the 35+ cat. I'm hitting the road as soon as I can find my Tenacious Oil.

Adios from the 54016

3/24/07, 5:55 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Chris - great job and dang - 21.5 - that's pretty stinking good! I've got my first TT since 2005 tomorrow - should be interesting - um, scary and likely downright pathetic. Oh well.

3/24/07, 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home