Saturday, April 14, 2007

Beating Heart

I recently signed up a coach. The reason that I wanted to get a coach was to make sure of two things: 1) That I am eating right. 2) That I am getting the most out of the limited riding time that I have available. He sent me the nutritional stuff which I read through and think it is very doable. Before we get started on the riding part, he wants me to do a maximum HR test. Yesterday I set out to do the test but didn't end up with a result. Basically the test has to be done on a long hill for resistance. I picked a hill which was too short. Right at the time I was to begin my sprint I crested the top of the hill, with a tail wind to boot, and was gone. I tried to push my HR up on the flat, but with a tail wind and me hitting the mid 30mph range, it was no good. I only got to 170bpm. I am going to retry the test on the 2 mile climb on Rt 620 tomorrow. I am sure I will not run out of incline on that hill.

I put new tires on the roadie yesterday because I kept getting flats on the rear. Upon close inspection, the rear tire was worn pretty thin. The tires only had about 800 miles on them, but I do run about 135psi most of the time. So off with the old and in with the new:

Yeah, what the fuck ever. Just don't go flat BITCHES.

The retro roadie should be completed within two weeks. A bonus for raising prices last year was paid unexpectedly and should be just about enough to finish the bike. All the parts are ordered and I am just waiting for them to arrive so that I can throw it together. I am pretty excited about it. I did find that buying New Old Stock is actually more expensive than buying new current stock. Who would have thought it?

8 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

i think that "new old stock" is a marketing gimmick....

i need some of those 220 psi tires! i think that much pressure would probably blow my wheels apart. shrapnel flying everywhere! woohoo! my fat ass would be walking!

peace out, yo!

4/14/07, 6:54 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

shoot! that's 220 threads per inch, not 220 psi. oh well. i need to be more attentive, huh?

4/14/07, 6:56 PM  
Blogger SpeedyChix said...

NOS might mean Now Overly 'Spensive.

Training with a good coach can really help you accomplish a lot with 8-10 hours a week.

NO MORE SNOW

4/14/07, 7:19 PM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

Yeah. Smart move on the coach. There's only so many areas of expertise one has time to develop. Now you just have to make sure you do the plan. That's the only way their knowledge will really pay off for you.

4/15/07, 1:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - yeah threads per inch. But you can get the new tubular clinchers that allow you to run super high tire pressures. Tufo makes them, check them out.

Anne - that could very well be what NOS means. :) You still getting snowed on? I hadn't noticed because I have been wrapped up in my own spectacular weather. HA!

Syd - you are so right. It is all up to me to actually do the work. I know it will be tough at times, especially when traveling, but it will have to get done. Period.

4/15/07, 1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I switched from Vittoria to Vredestein this year. They are paying me more to ride their tires, so I ride their tires!
I wish.
They were $50+ apiece and had better last for 5 years at that cost.
Can a coach trade you for "a rider to be named later" if you don't perform? :^)

4/16/07, 5:19 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Wheeee!! That test sounds so fun!!

Puke.

Who ya using for a coach?

4/16/07, 9:02 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - I switched from Vredestine to Vittoria. I only got about 800 miles on the Vreds. As I said I kept them taught for sure. I am sure the coach will want to trade me when he sees me ride for sure.

Eclect - Wenzel Coaching.
www.wenzelcoaching.com
The assigned me to James Karthauser.

4/16/07, 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home