Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wednesday With Sweet Cheeks

Sweet Cheeks is in Austin visiting family so I was able to meet up with her today for a ride. We did the Damn Loop which is about 31 miles. She is a great rider and we had a blast. She didn't hold back on the big downhill on Rt. 2222 either. I hit 54mph, and she was not far behind. She goes uphill pretty darn well too. We finished off the ride with a few drinks at the Starbucks that we parked in front of. It was great to meet Sweet Cheeks and I hope to get to meet more of you eventually.


It was a gorgeous day for a ride. We met at the HEB grocery complex at the intersection of Rt. 71 and Bee Cave Road.


Sweet Cheeks cresting the climb on Rt. 620 by Steiner Ranch.


My attempt at a self photo. How the hell do you people do those so well?


It is good to ride with someone who likes to chat as much as I do when I ride :)


Heading back to the cars after a great ride.

After I got back from the ride I took the garbage out, hopped in the shower, and headed out the door to pick up The Bug. When Bug and I got home he helped me water the plants. Then he enjoyed a yummy daddy prepared dinner of raisins, cookies, Black Beans, french fries, chicken strips and apple juice. Delicious! I then put Bug in the tub and scrubbed the dirt and food residue off of him. Then came the ordeal - brushing his teeth. What a pain in the ass. Any suggestions from you more experienced parents out there?? How do I keep him from either turning his head to avoid the brush or biting it once I manage to get it in his mouth? I think head locking a 16 month old may be a bit much :)

15 Comments:

Blogger Danielle Musto said...

I'm using your blog for my daily dosage of sun. It's nice to be reminded of what it looks like :-)

4/11/07, 6:36 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

neat! a velobella in texas! she's so cute!

self portraits while riding - the trick is to hold the camera farther out. but yours is actually pretty good! I usually take a bunch and use the best one.

and teeth brushing, i think i did the head lock when mine were that age.

4/11/07, 6:41 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

I rode in the sun once. I got to wear just a jersey and shorts. No warmers. No thick wool socks. Nothing under my helmet. It was awesome.

4/11/07, 6:57 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bug's dinner sounds yummy!

16 months is old enough to teach him to brush his teeth himself. such a big boy! use a little psychology on him! :)

we had sun the other day.... hmmmm...

peace out, yo!

4/11/07, 7:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We need to form a blogger ride somewhere. Of course, it has to be sunny and warm and hilly (but no headwinds) and have great beer on tap at the end. I bet we could come up with a location for something like that!
I remember brushing my kids teeth with my finger for awhile until they got used to the scary toothbrush. Maybe not the best thing to do, but they are all able to do on their own now!

4/12/07, 6:03 AM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

i'm with danielle on this one. Sunshine. Lovely sunshine. Shorts, jersey, no wind blocking pants, thermal jackets, double gloves. Looks like you too had so much fun.

Headlocks work fine. Kinda like an extra firm hug. ;)

Or, you could try standing him on the counter and brushing together. You do urs slow and clear he copies. Bug won't do a great job at first, but he'll get the hang of it.

4/12/07, 8:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I haven't ridden with a fellow blogger (other than my own contributors)...that'd be cool. Although today I am riding with a blog reader. He's new in town and found us through the blog, so that's cool.

Self portraits...like Lauren says...take a whole bunch and one of them might turn out ok!

Brushing teeth...just patience. They grow up so fast that you never get stuck in one phase for very long.

4/12/07, 10:25 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Hey, check that FANTASTIC kit!!!

How weird to see people riding bikes without coats, tights, shoe covers, and no snow on the ground.

4/12/07, 11:26 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

Sounds like all of you need to come visit me in the Santa Cruz are, OR come out to Austin (I'll always be willing to come here). The ride was soooo beautiful. Chris is a great host and he kicked my ass on the climbs!

4/12/07, 12:56 PM  
Blogger SpeedyChix said...

Teeth already eh? Don't they ship kids with instructions?

Yeah, what's with the sun and moderate temps? Can you share some???

It'll be warm and maybe even sunny here someday. Likely when it is too hot for you to be outside. Here we get cool fall colors and now we have fresh maple syrup.

4/12/07, 5:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Everyone - thanks for the advice on the tooth brushing. I will try and see what works.

Don't hate me for the good weather. It is not my fault that you all live in uninhabitable areas.

I would be happy to host a blogger ride in Austin :)

4/12/07, 6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will second the motion for the first annual Austin "Blogger" ride. Chris: get cranking on the jerseys and accomadations.
And it has to be this time of the year too. We need it to really suck weather-wise in the Midwest
so us Northerners can get maximum enjoyment out of the trip!

4/13/07, 9:24 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - I am on it. Schedule your trip for next March.

4/13/07, 6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chris: It really sounds like a great idea. I will see what I can do.
If you are ever up MI, you are welcome to come to GR and ride with us West Coasters. Just make sure you check the weather channel before you book your trip! :^)

4/14/07, 5:01 PM  
Blogger megan said...

i def. need to get back out and start up the damn loop rides. ive been riding south more lately. avoidance of hills perhaps?? arugh.

4/27/07, 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home