Monday, June 02, 2008

University Oaks Crit Report

Sunday I went to San Antonio to race the University Oaks Crit. The race was at 8am, so I left the house at 5am. I had to be back to take Angelo to a birthday party for one of his friends at Chuck E. Cheese's.

Pre-reg was light for the race, but there were about 40 riders on the start line. Two teams were very well represented with 8 or so riders apiece. I had one teammate in the race. After a few laps there were two guys dangling out front. I was 3rd wheel and my teammate The Guz was right behind me. I accelerated to close the front two down and Guz yelled that we had a gap. Guz and I took off and blew by the two guys on the front. We tried to get away for 3 or 4 laps but weren't widening our gap. Two other riders came across but didn't work. We held on for another 3 or so laps before it was closed down.

The middle parts of the race were pretty uneventful. As we came to 5 laps to go a few people tried to attack but were easily reeled back in. As we came through for the bell lap I was on the front followed by another rider followed by Guz. After two turns Guz moved past to the front. The other guy took the wheel of Guz. I took his wheel. The field was back just a few bike lengths. As we were coming into the final turn for the long home stretch the guy behind Guz looked back and realized that I wasn't his sprinter so he basically sat up. I thought that was stupid because if his sprinter wasn't there he should try to win the race for himself, not look around to see if he can attach him again prior to the last turn. That opened a gap and Guz took full advantage of it hammering down the straight for the win. I came around the guy who sat up and gave it a go. Two guys got by me at the line ruining a 1-2 for Team Southwest Cycle Sport. Oh well.


The break early in the race.


The sprint at the line. The racer in the red and white is a lapped rider. Guz took the win. The guy on my left got second and the guy on my right got 3rd.

I will post the music video in a separate post since I am sure you are all waiting eagerly. HA!

15 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

cool! sounds like a good race!

you've got more guts than i do regarding chuck e. cheese. i loathe that place :)

6/2/08, 10:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you and your teammate knew what to do and made it work; congrats. You are finishing consistantly better each race so something must be working!
Sorry I missed commenting the last cheesy song; NOT. Air Supply has to be one of the stupidest band names ever too! :^)

6/2/08, 2:42 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

4th ain't so bad. I'd take it.

Sounds like a good race. Good you got that out of the way before polluting the body with CEC pizza. Quality Pizza, washed down with good beer; that is my type of recovery meal :-)

6/2/08, 4:12 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Congrats on the 4th placing. I'd take it with the way my race results have been going lately.

Good working with your teammate, I look forward to doing that with my new team in USCF races, especially after coming from being unattached last year.

Keep the cheesy songs coming!

6/2/08, 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4th is a good race Chris! Your finishes are improving. More importantly how did that Chuck E Cheese recovery meal sit for you.
Speaking of Cheese... anxiously awaiting the next song.

6/3/08, 12:47 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sounds like a good race. I love the people who get in a break but dont work. But I've reserved myself to the fact that it's a part of racing, shame though.

6/3/08, 3:56 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Wow, way to go Chris, that sounds like an exciting race! From the other comments made, you're getting stronger on the closings with every race....

As for cheese, yes, what is coming from the bottom of the bucket this week??? LMAO

6/3/08, 10:00 AM  
Blogger Ron George said...

Great result as always. What are you on, wow :)

6/3/08, 11:06 AM  
Blogger jahowie said...

That sounds like a very good race!! Nice job!! There is nothing at all wrong with 4th place, and your team did well too. It was a good day.

6/4/08, 8:54 AM  
Blogger EB said...

I hate it when people bridge early only refuse to work a break. Super lame.

6/4/08, 12:17 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Oh yeah!!!! Good race!

And I'm just contrary, I guess. I actually miss the song since it isn't here.

(sigh)

6/4/08, 12:45 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Oh yeah!!!! Good race!

And I'm just contrary, I guess. I actually miss the song since it isn't here.

(sigh)

6/4/08, 12:45 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Great work, Chris. You are an inspiration, getting into breaks and working hard in races. Good on ya!

6/5/08, 2:51 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - me too, but it was fun watching the kids go crazy.

Oldman - I am coming for those boys in MI this year. Start dropping the word. Air Supply is a pretty stupid name I guess.

Rick - Angelo doesn't like beer, so we will have to stick with the cheap pizza and fountain drinks for a bit longer.

Zach - thanks. How is the job coming?

Donald - I didn't eat that crap!

Whitey - it could have been because there were two people from my team represented, but I doubt it.

Lily - I have a great one coming for you tonight.

Ron - I am high on life. HA!

Jahowie - it was enjoyable and close enough to home that it didn't kill a whole day.

bbelf - super lame indeed.

eclectchick - you can say that again. I have 4 more coming just for you.

Groover - maybe someday a break will actually stick.

6/5/08, 7:51 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

sweet race report! Great job out there mixing it up and getting yourself on the podium. Nicely done.

6/6/08, 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home