Friday, September 26, 2008

Friday Afternoon

It has been a while since I have written on here. Hopefully I can get back to posting regularly. I am sitting in the President's Club at the Newark Airport. I have a 5 hour layover here after flying out of Frankfurt this morning. The flight to Austin is over three hours which should put me at home around 1am. My ass is killing me. Ain't life grand?

How is my training? Gone, done, over. I haven't trained hard since early August and have been riding no more than twice a week for the past month. I just couldn't keep it togeter any longer with all the other things going on in life right now. I was also mentally tired from training hard for 9 months. I am going to take October completely off the bike and start my base training in November.

This Sunday is the annual ride/lunch that I host from my house, the Hill Country 53. I have about 40 confirmed riders this year which is twice as many as last year. It should be a great time and I am looking forward to it.

Yeah, so Lance is coming back. Most of us in Austin suspected that over a month ago when he showed up for the Tuesday night pseudo race in South Austin. If he wants to come back, that is fine by me. Do I think he will be dominant? No. Not at 37. It hasn't been done in the past and I don't see why he will be the first. However, I think Johan B. made a big mistake bringing him to Astana and I think it will cost him Contador. While Johan says Contador will be the team leader for the TdF, I just don't see it. Contador seems to be willing to see how things go in the next few months before he abandons ship. It will be interesting to watch.

I have terminated my last top 5 list since so much time has passed. For today I just offer up some good ole American carnage. This one is really for my boy, Blue.

13 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh.......... thanks, chris!!!! that's just what i needed for my race prep! awesome!

good to see you back at it, bro!

9/26/08, 3:51 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Hey, he's alive! Welcome back.

Wished I had known about the ride, I would have tried to 'crash' it. Oh, that's right, the wife will not let me on the road, yet, so a bit hard to 'crash' a road ride. Have fun out there! And drink a cold one for me.

9/26/08, 5:15 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Welcome back, Chris. I missed you. So two Texans back in one week. ;-) I guess Lance has done other things that had never been done before so why not winning again at age 37?

Take the month off. It's important. While the motivation is not there you worry if it will ever come back but believe me, it's the best thing you can do. It really helped me to have six weeks off in July/August.

9/26/08, 11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad your back (in cyberspace at least!). Traveling is a be-och. I do not envy you for that. Hope you had a good trip (recovered from your "night like mine" yet? :^))
I can't afford to take a month off now; I will have 5 months off soon!
Lance needs attention. He hasn't had any in awhile (except for his second in the Leadville race). No different that some old aging rock band getting back together and dragging their ass around the country for the money and the applause. Contador has to be pissed.
Have a great weekend!

9/27/08, 7:04 AM  
Blogger TreBone said...

Glad you're back Chris! I agree with you on the return of LA. Johan's gambling with this move. Lance is going to bring in BIG money, but Contador is the future of the sport. Can't have two patrons.

btw- GREAT video.

9/27/08, 3:09 PM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

It should be an interesting dynamic with contador and armstrong; no matter it will be a fun tour to watch..I just hope armstrong is able to do it - ride it strong - it will do wonders for his foundation and it will just kill lemond - i have already witnessed the yellow band making a come back

9/28/08, 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna go!!!

9/28/08, 6:15 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Certainly understand needing the break. I know others missed your stories as I did.
Glad to see you're back.

9/29/08, 6:23 AM  
Blogger jahowie said...

Good to see that you are back. Wish I could join you all for that ride. It's very cool that you host an event like that. Take care.

9/29/08, 7:34 AM  
Blogger Ron George said...

Nice to see you back. I was wondering where you were for a while. My blog comments have been scant recently :)

9/29/08, 3:18 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - glad I could help

Rick - I did the crashing for everyone yesterday. I will explain in my post to come. It was comical.

Groover - glad to be back. I hope rest works for me as it has for you.

Oldman - I was hung over like a mutha. Kind of like you are everyday. You ROCKSTAR!

Trebon - I agree. It is kind of like Highlander. "There can be only one."

Betty - it will be interesting for sure. I think Lemond is right in a lot of ways though.

Fendergal - you always have an open invite to any ride I put on.

Donald - maybe I will make it up to NC for a ride soon.

Jahowie - cool, but a lot of work. I am glad it is over.

9/29/08, 3:21 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

glad you are back!

enjoy your down time.

9/30/08, 1:20 PM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!

Taking time off is a great thing to do mentally and physically!!

10/1/08, 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home