Monday, July 21, 2008

July Challenge Series Circuit Race #2

I went to San Antonio for the second circuit race in the July Challenge Series. I had a plan for the race after my experience last weekend. The plan was to attack on the hill before the last turn, open a gap, and sprint to glorious victory.

My thoughts when the moment to attack came were: "NOW DUDE! Hey, I am not going as fast as I imagined I would be going. Hey! You fuckers are supposed to be getting dropped, so why are you right behind me??"

To make a long story short, I didn't get away. I spent it all attacking and ended up sprinting to 6th place. Disappointing in a way, but I am glad I executed my plan even if it didn't have the desired result.

I leave on Friday for Nor Cal to do some riding. The original plan was to do two days of racing, but one race was canceled and one was moved to September. Just bad luck in a way. But since I already had my ticket, I am still going to go to ride. Sunday Velogirl is planning a ride and barbeque for her birthday which should be fun. Word on the street is that she is getting 5 barrels of Miller High Life. Can you say keg stand?? Saturday is up in the air, but I am looking for a solid road ride. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Racing season is winding down here in TX. After this weekend, races are few and far between. I plan on maintaining fitness through September and then taking it easy for a month or so before I start my base training again.

Have a good week.

Here is #1 on "Top 5 Sprint Finish Crashes." Mario Cippolini gets put into the barriers in the 1994 Vuelta. The slow motion replay is brutal. Wear your helmets kiddies.

17 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

Get 'em next time cowboy.

7/21/08, 6:50 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Is it winding down already? I thought you had at least three more months of summer/good weather/racing left? You'll get there. The win is just around the corner, mate. Stay positive.

7/22/08, 1:38 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

back in the day before helmets were required.... that had to hurt!

5 kegs of beer? whoaaaa..... we want pics. lots of pics.

have fun!

7/22/08, 4:47 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

ah the birthday ride! well then if you're going, i'll go too.

and 5 kegs? i didn't realize that.

7/22/08, 9:04 AM  
Blogger EB said...

Dang...why ever would you expose your face to that possibility.

I think it's better to go and have it not exactly happen the way you want than to always wonder what would have happened if you did.

Remember to drink your high life in a flute -- it's the champagne of beers!

7/22/08, 9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep up your training and your plan will peak in GR!
That is a hard hit chippo, helmet or not! Did you notice that the guy who sent him into the barriers won and even celebrated crossing the line? Nice guy.
Have fun in CA but don't call me for bail money. And take some pictures; you doing a keg stand I got to see!!

7/22/08, 9:34 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Mr. Titanium Hip and I will see you on Sunday.

I can give you route suggestions for Saturday. Contact me via email on Facebook. Where are you staying?

7/22/08, 10:42 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

There's a lot to be said for making a plan and working that plan - even if it fails.

Good on you!

7/22/08, 1:18 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

See you on Sunday, but not for a ride. I'll be drinking, errr, guarding the kegs while you folks are off riding ;-)

And for Saturday I suggest the Pescadero-Tunitas loop :-)

7/22/08, 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched that between my fingers... ugh!

7/22/08, 8:14 PM  
Blogger jahowie said...

The summer is flying by. I can't believe that your race season is almost over alredy. Have a safe trip and enjoy the party.

7/23/08, 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Sage said...

ah man, I just watched all 5 sprint crash videos. Hee-bee-jee-bees! Guess I'll go watch the rerun of today's stage up Alpe d'Huez to replace those images!
Thanks for the entertainment!

Jennifer Sage
http://cyclingeurope.wordpress.com

7/23/08, 6:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Zach - hopefully

Groover - yes, there are only a few races left in the year. It just gets too hot in TX after June.

Blue - 5 kegs is just wishful thinking on my part.

Lauren - great! I look forward to meeting you.

BBelf - that's right!! It says that right on the label.

Oldman - I am not sure I am going to be able to make GR this year. I will know soon. I have all of the Western Union locations incase I need you to send me some bail money.

Chatterbox - I will email you tomorrow. I stay in San Mateo.

Eclectchick - when can you get back to hard training.

Rick - that loop looks good. Two climbs, but the distance is about what I want to do.

Fendergal - I am not sure who he isn't dead to be honest.

Jahowie - time flies when you are having fun.

Jennifer - it was a good stage today for sure. It wasn't great though. I wish it wouldn't have been such a defensive race on the final climb.

7/23/08, 8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chris: Bummed to hear you won't be here for the classic. Guess I will just have to make a trip down there again in February!
And all that good Blueberry Ale just going to waste in my basement . . .

7/24/08, 2:46 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Geez, how come they are winding down?

That sounds like some party going on! Have a GREAT time!

7/25/08, 6:24 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

oops! someone forget to tell me about the 5 kegs of PBR. next year.

good to spend time with you this weekend, Chris.

7/28/08, 6:05 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

Ouch, I'm surprised his noggins weren't on the road.

7/29/08, 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home