Monday, June 30, 2008

Hyde Park Blast Criterium

We timed our mid summer visit to the wife's parents house to coincide with the Hyde Park Blast Criterium in Cincinnati. My Cat. 4 race was at 7:15pm. There was a downpour around 4pm, but the course was fairly dry by the start of my race. I wasn't able to get a good warm-up because there just wasn't any place to ride without dodging cars. I chose a 150 meter section of closed street and rode up and down it about 10 thousand times. The course was a 1km loop with a 180 in Hyde Park Square at one end and a steep little side street climb and then a decent before heading back toward the square. There were 50 racers at the start.

I didn't get a great start because I missed my pedal, but over the first 3 laps I was able to move up to where I wanted to be. I felt like I was working pretty hard and I am not sure if it was because I had a bit of a cold, or because the climb wasn't allowing my HR to settle down. Either way my avg HR was at 88% of max which is higher than normal for me unless I get in a break.

There was a selection of about 15 riders with 3 to go (I heard the announcer say that, I didn't actually count us). I found myself pulling on the front on the 2nd to last lap. I let someone else pull through and took 4th wheel for the last lap. We went hard up the climb and fast on the decent, but then the leader slowed a bit. I started moving around on the left with 300 meters to go. I saw two racers moving fast on the right. We ended up with a selection of 6 with 150 meters to go. One rider was fast and was obviously going to win. I came around on the right and got by two and thought maybe three, but the results showed me in 4th. I honestly thought I got 3rd, but the camera doesn't lie. I raced as hard as I could for the way I felt, but I am still disappointed. Oh well.


This photo is with about 50 meters to go. I am in blue and white. I came past all but the guy in blue white and black in the middle.


My biggest fan.

I had a training incident last week that still gets me worked up thinking about it. I was coming to an intersection on my lunch training route. It is a light with two straight lanes and a right turn lane. The light was red. I was in the right turn lane because I was turning right. As I approached the light I heard breaks squealing and looked over in time to see some asshole in a pick up pulling a boat about to hit the truck in the lane to my left. So what does he do?? He hammers the wheel to the right coming into my lane and runs me off the road with his boat trailer. I was pissed, but was reasonable at that point. I rode up along side him and yelled, "PAY ATTENTION!" He said "FUCK OFF" and made the right turn on red. I yelled, "PULL OVER MOTHERFUCKER BECAUSE I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR FUCKING ASS!" He hit the breaks and swerved over. I unclipped and had a smile on my face because I wanted to kill the dude. When he saw me about to dismount he took off. I chased him hoping I could catch him at the next light, but wasn't able to get there in time. I am usually pretty reasonable. But if you almost run me over and then tell me to fuck off, you better be ready to throw some hands.

Here is #5 on the list of "Top 5 Sprint Finish Crashes." This one is mild to soften you up for the carnage to come. Here is Tom Boonen crashing at the end of the 2003 Ghent-Wevelgem. This piece is cool because of the camera work from behind the sprint. The others in the sprint are: 1st - Andreas Klier (Telecom), 2nd - Henk Vogels (Navigators), and 4th - Alberto Ongarato (Domina Vacanze). Boonen got 3rd.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Moser said...

Your pickup truck encounter probably worked out perfect. You scared the crap out of him, he speeds off trying to avoid a beating, burning $10 in gas in the process. It's like you gave him a ticket! A citation for being stupid. And you didn't even have to dirty your hands.

I don't know much about racing, but always enjoy reading your racing coverage.

6/30/08, 9:19 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/1/08, 5:04 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

dude! take your shoes off before you dance. no kidding.

good job on your race. impressed!

7/1/08, 5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First, the Boonen crash vid. Did you notice that one of the guys he crashed into turned around and started taking pictures of him on the ground? What a dick! Don't know why they would let them stand there, but if you caused someone to crash that bad, you'd like to think your first instinct was to help them, not shove a camera in their face!
Okay, now to you. Awesome race dude. Sounds like you stuck with the pack and had something for the sprint. And sometimes, cameras do lie. Remember those spy shots of WMD's in Iraq? :^)
I'm with blue; the hardest thing about a fist-ticuffs match with a redneck is getting good footing. Wow; I have not gone that far with my scary truck driver encounters, but more power to you for letting him know he was in the wrong. I have to admit I have yet to have someone taunt me, throw garbage or write a cardboard sign this summer. Of course, now that I said it, its just a matter of time!

7/1/08, 9:21 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hey-- good finish Chris... it's getting there. As for the truck guy... I've been there a couple times over the past months. I'm careful though about what I yell because there are a lot of shotguns in the trucks here in NC.

7/1/08, 3:33 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

cool! You're so close to the top step you can taste it. Stay hungry.

Yeah, the road incidents can be scary. It's amazing our (society's) lackadaisical attitude about barreling through space with 8,000 pounds of vehicle and 2,000 pounds of trailer.....sigh.

7/1/08, 4:55 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jeff - let's hope he got a ticket. I still enjoy your ride pics. Hopefully I can get out there for a ride with you sometime.

Blue - thanks for the tip. I figured you would know the ins and outs of throwing down in bike gear.

Oldman - I noticed that too. They didn't even seem sorry. Boonen did a great job of being dramatic too. The WMD comment is funny!

Donald - here too. You should have heard my wife yell at me after I told her the story. I haven't told her about my super powers.

Chatterbox - hmm. My truck or the bike guy. The bike guy. What a dick. I am coming out to ride at the end of July. I hope to get to meet you and Rick.

7/1/08, 6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the guy wet or worsed his pants when he realized he was going to get spanked by a guy wearing spandex.

Blue sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so drop the footgear next time!

7/2/08, 3:19 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Good job on your race Chris, video, well, it is not always accurate but sometimes you got to take what they give you.

Wow, that is a scarey moment with the dude in the duelly pulling the boat, I probably would have yelled the same thing!! good job Blue has your back for the duke out tips....

Glad it didn't come to that, maybe someone else saw the whole incident and reported it, you'll never know, good job scaring the crap out of him in the mean time!

Stay safe!!!

BTW, Mallie made me laugh out! loud!!

7/2/08, 9:57 AM  
Blogger AMR said...

Hi Chris,

It looks like a huge event. Great report on the race. Third or fourth on the photo.. You are up there!!! Just need a bit of luck to get "that wheel" now.

Stay safe!

AMR

7/2/08, 3:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Mallie - how is the house coming?

Lily - it doesn't appear so. I didn't see any cops flocking to my rescue.

AMR - I am at the point where it comes down to timing and strategy and I am not pulling it off.

Lauren - you seem kind of wirey. I bet you can throw down.

7/2/08, 7:38 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

Ha! Great story. I would punch a hole through his face...

7/12/08, 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home