Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Happenings

I spent the first part of this week in Memphis, TN visiting with one of our larger customers. I was surprised at how hot it was up there. The wind felt like someone was holding a hair dryer in my face.

I am starting to feel tired from what is already becoming a long season. I started base in December making this season 8 months long already. I have my last race scheduled for the first week of September in Grand Rapids. I am not sure I am going to make it that long. My mind is telling me to slow things down a bit and have some fun on the bike before getting back into base building late this year.

I am doing a circuit race on Sunday in San Antonio with a few of my teammates. I am looking forward to it, but hope I can get my mind in the right place over the next few days.

I am going to head out to Cali at the end of the month to ride with a few of the bloggers out there. The original plan was to do two races out there that weekend, but unfortunately they both were canceled after I made my reservations. So, I decided to go out and ride just for fun. I look forward to it.

Angelo moved up to a class of 3 year olds at daycare and is learning all kinds of new words. The other day he got mad at me and called me the worst thing that he could possibly think of - a POOPIE! It is hard to not crack up laughing while you are telling your son that it isn't ok to call you or anyone else a poopie.

I got tagged by Zach who was tagged by Ron who was tagged by blah blah. I will list 6 random things about myself, but I am not one to follow all the other rules.

1) My balls hang low.
2) I played rugby for 4 years in college.
3) I like Grease 2 better than Grease.
4) I hate Harry Potter.
5) I think U2's Joshua Tree album is the greatest album ever made.
6) When I was growing up, my dad named our two pigs after his two bosses at work.

Here is #3 on the list of "Top 5 Sprint Finish Crashes." Brad Huff at the 2007 Tour of Missouri takes a header at the line. He walked away with just a few scrapes.

16 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

do they wobble to and fro? oh wait, that's the ears hang low song.

and pigs after bosses, ah man, that's classic - as my dad would say.

when are you coming out here? where are you going to be? wha, wha?

i want to ride with you guys too!

7/9/08, 8:19 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

hahhaha Lauren, you beat me to it....about the "ears"...LOL..

Listen to what your mind & body are telling you! They want to ride just for fun for a while...

At least Angelo only learned "poopie", that's a good thing! LMAO

7/10/08, 3:10 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i'm not surprised that you're tired. all the travel and training would kick anyone's ass....

i wonder if any of my employees have named their pigs after me? hmmmm..... could be worse, i guess. could be a gerbil.

i had a first sergeant in the army who always said "buchanan! you know you've made it to the big time when you find your name written on the poophouse wall...." well, he didn't say "poophouse", but you get the picture.

nice crash!

7/10/08, 4:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pigs are pretty smart, wouldn't be that bad to be named after one.

A poopie! Shocker. Though not a parent, I've long been an aunt, and you're right, sometimes it's really hard not to crack up during disciplinary sessions. My favorite was when I caught my three 6-7 year old nephews practicing the proper enunciation and forcefulness of pronunciation of some swear words they'd overheard.

7/10/08, 4:59 AM  
Blogger Groover said...

It is a long season but I can imagine that it would be hard to slow down right now. You are going so well.

7/10/08, 5:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been constantly reprimanded by Rene for cracking up at inappropriate things the kids have said over the years. I still do it and they are all teens and 20's now!
Sorry about missing the races but riding in CA is cool. Enjoy yourself; wish I could join ya!
1. TMI
2. Now I better understand your anger and loss of memory issues! :^)
3. Okay. I would have more impressed by your comparison of say, Die Hard or Die Harder.
4. Ditto.
5. I think Joshua Tree is the best album U2 ever made.
6. So am I to assume you lived on a farm or was your Dad at the forefront of the celebrity pot-bellied pet pig revolution?
I do not like watching bike crashes. Not sure why but it always makes me cringe.

7/10/08, 9:28 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Many, many years ago my oldest nephew, then two at the time, call me a pooh-head while we were in the checkout line at the campus bookstore. Been called worse, but not by one so young.

And the rules of sprinting: know where you are and where you are going. Hitting the barriers because you are not looking is so silly.

Wished I could get out and ride while you are here, but for now my wings are clipped. When and where will you be in the area?

7/10/08, 11:45 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lauren - the weekend of the 26th. I am staying in San Mateo. Velogirl is setting up one day of riding. I am not sure about the 2nd. It would be great to get out with you and Morgan and others too.

Lily - I don't know the ears song. I will have to look it up.

Blue - I will start searching for my name in the shitter.

Mallie - They may be smart, but I will never be one of those pig pet people. I'll stick with dogs.

Groover - maybe it would be hard, but racing starts again here in January.

Oldman - not really a farm. Just 5 acres with some animals.

Rick - I arrive the 25th and depart the 28th. I am staying in San Mateo.

7/10/08, 8:30 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

That sounds good... just head out to Cali and have a good time! Thanks for sharing a little more about yourself... I think. The pig naming was good.
The crash... even better.

7/11/08, 4:45 AM  
Blogger EB said...

I think I was going to say something meaningful, but #1 stopped me in my tracks...

If your body suggests it's time for a break better to do it now than to wait for your body to enforce said break. We just did ours & it was great; I think it'll allow me to race all the way through, January to September.

7/11/08, 9:00 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

The California birthday express. You arrive on Ms Chatterbox's birthday and leave just before VeloGirl's. Must be a need for a party in there somewhere ;-)

7/11/08, 2:48 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

TMI, ya poopie!

Hey if I can put aside training/racing to have fun on the bike - you can.

;-)

Not really. I just like the idea of someone else being on the sidelines with me. It's kinda lonely.

7/11/08, 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, whatever happened to #1 on the Cheesy Songs countdown? You've left me hangin'!

7/12/08, 6:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Donald - I intend to have some fun and relax. I don't get away alone often.

BBelf - I am glad you are feeling refreshed. I fully expect a podium in the next few weeks from you :)

Rick - you guys just tell me when and where to show up.

Eclectchick - too much sideline time for me and I will start hitting the food heavily. That is one of my big problems.

Fendergal - it was posted a few posts ago I think. You will LOVE IT! HA!

7/12/08, 8:28 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

I'm more of an Achtung Baby fan, personally. And thanks for the news on your balls. That's really great.

7/14/08, 9:58 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

P.S. I hear you. And I'll start hitting the beer/wine too regularly - and have nothing going to burn them off.

P.S.S. BTW, I hate Harry Potter, too!!! I'm so happy to meet someone else who does.

7/14/08, 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home