Sunday, December 24, 2006

Hello Old Friend

Today the weather was cold and rainy (47 degrees) in the Texas Hill Country. I figured it would be a great day to reacquaint myself with an old friend. That friend being my 1996 KHS Alite 4000. I love that bike, but have ridden it very little during my long hiatus. I looked it over and realized that this thing was damn cool and high-end "back in the day." After some cleaning and small adjustments, it was ready to go. I took it out for 13 miles and froze my ass off. I should have dressed warmer, but thought I would get hot once out there. Oh well, it was only 13 miles so the cold red stingy ass didn't last that long after my shower :).

I hope you all have a great Christmas and focus on family and the Christmas Spirit rather than the materialistic orgy that Christmas has become.


Very patriotic paint, eh?


The best cycling product that I have ever purchased. 11 years old and still bomb proof.


The first year of the Rock Shox Judy (the fork is a 1995). A great fork in its day, but it needs rebuilt or replaced. Avid Single Digit brakes.


Suntour Twist Shift with Real brake levers.


Suntour Giga deraillers.


I don't need no stinkin' fancy pack. My original Camel Back Packster does just fine.


Sigh. Where's the sun?

5 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

that's a sweet ride! classic gravel grinder!

peace out, yo

12/24/06, 9:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must agree wholeheartedly about the SDG Kevlar saddle. I have one of the same vintage in black and it still looks like new. Amazing what it has lived through over the years!
Cold and crappy in Texas; warm and sunny in Michigan! Sorry.

12/26/06, 7:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I have a Pearl Izumi wind vest that I absolutely love. It keeps your core body temperature warm while the back is vented...a big mesh patch for the heat and moisture to escape. You can control your body heat with the full length zipper, and if it gets too hot, you just stow it in your pack or jersey. It barely takes up any room. There's no excuse not to bring it for those iffy weather days.

12/26/06, 1:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Brian - I suspect I will have my SDG for at least another 10 years.

Jeff - thanks for the tip on the vest. I will see if I can find one at my local shop.

12/26/06, 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’d love to find this exact frame!!!

5/23/22, 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home