Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day 3 in the Gorge

This place is gorgeous! I wish I had more time to explore the area but the schedule is pretty tight. The view at the left is from my hotel room window. Not too shabby, eh? We are staying at Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA.

Workouts here have been boring to say the least. I can't stand more that 60 minutes on a stationary bike. SO BORING! The good thing about the Life Cycle workouts is that it is easy to monitor your HR and cadence both of which my workouts are based on at this time. I think I am going to hit the stair climber this afternoon to substitute for my standing interval workout which I can't do on the road and refuse to even try to simulate on a horizontal Life Cycle. I can't wait to do some actual cycling this weekend.

The conference is pretty typical as far as these conferences go. Companies get up there and tell you how great their products are compared to every other company who makes similar products. It is all done in a sly way so as to avoid trade names. Over and over and over again for 3 days. The highlight of the trip for sure has been the golf outting which was yesterday. The course is superb and the weather was perfect. The best part is that we (scramble) shot a "69."

On another note. Anyone out there have any experience with the new tubular clinchers like the ones that TUFO makes? I am interested in hearing how close to tubulars they actually are in performance.

Have a good Thursday.

11 Comments:

Blogger Here and there said...

Hi, I know that area well, you are just 2 hrs away from where I live in Salem. Some great road rides along the Columbia River right in that area. And the mountainbiking just east of Skamania is incredible! I'm glad the weather has been sunny for you.

5/10/07, 4:18 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Man, you really need a bike. Looks like the weather is cooperative. Be but a nice, beautiful jaunt to Cascade Locks and then down to Multnomah Falls, or a bit longer up and across at Hood R.

Lucky dog.

5/10/07, 5:09 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i can't believe that you call what you do working.

be safe.

peace out, yo!

5/10/07, 7:35 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

an hour on one of those things is torture.

how bout running? good way to see the place you're visiting too. it looks so beautiful!

5/10/07, 9:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Cyndy - I will have to check it out next time I am up here.

Rick - I am right at Cascade Locks and by the Bridge to the Gods or whatever it is called. The juant up Rt. 14 on Washington side looked like great road riding. The berms were nice and wide.

Blue - I bust my ass Brutha! HA!

Lauren - I gave running a go early in the year and hated it. Looks like crappy stationary bikes are going to have to do.

5/10/07, 10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is an awesome view there, Mr. Lucky Dog. I have not been to WA/Seattle in almost 10 years and I really want to get back out there. Did you happen to see any Starbucks in that area? :^)

5/11/07, 6:02 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

chris - I hope you enjoy the rest of your daydreaming about cycling week, uh, I mean conference. You definitely need to schedule more recreation next time you're in such a nice spot!

5/11/07, 7:10 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I don't think I'd last 5 minutes on a stationary bike. I need to be going somewhere. I always look at them when at a hotel, but that's about as far as I make it.

I love the Columbia River Gorge. One of the most beautiful places on earth!

5/11/07, 11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeff: Right on Brother! I hate stationary riding of any kind.

5/11/07, 12:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Stationary sucks for sure. Like Chatterbox said, next time I will have to make time to get out.

5/12/07, 6:20 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Last time I was in Washington I was just there for an overnighter. There was an AWESOME bike shop right across the street from my hotel. Unfortunately it was not open on Sundays. I stood there making nose-prints on the window. Finally a cop came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told him, as I wiped the drool off my chin, if he didn't already know why I'm staring into a bike shop, he probably wouldn't understand. All I wanted to do was go for a ride. Oh, the longing....

:)

5/13/07, 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home