Friday, May 04, 2007

Thursday Night Crit Report (5/3)

The goal this week was to improve over last week. I decided that my whole day would be about getting ready to race.

I got out of bed and hopped into the shower. I took the razor to my legs and got them looking sweet. I got out of the shower and jumped on the scale and it read 196.8 pounds. Why is weight loss so damn slow?? Anyway, that put me at exactly 40 pounds lost to date. Not too shabby.

I had some kind of healthy tasteless cereal for breakfast and a glass of water. I then packed up the kit and bike and headed off to work. I limited it to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and then switched to water. I had some kind of bar snack thing at around 10 and some Goldfish at noon. More water. I wanted to have my lunch about 3 hours before I started warming up, so I ate the bowl of pasta/tomatoes/broccoli that I packed at around 2:15. More water.

I got to the track around 5:15 and pinned my number on just as Mrs. T Nelson illustrated so well in her April 21st post. Perfect. I put my shirt on and went to register. “What is your number?" the dude asked. “191," I said. “Bro, you have that thing pinned on upside down.” FUCK! So I went back to the car and took off my shirt, undid all 8 pins, and pinned it on right side up. Dumb ass.

The Cat 3/4 race just began as I started to warm up, so I knew I had 45 minutes until my race. I headed up the road at an easy pace and returned at an easy pace about 10 minutes later. It was in the 80s, so it was hot enough to get a little sweat flowing. I headed to the car to slug down 1/3 of my Cytomax (which I am convinced is Tang). I headed down the road again this time at a faster pace doing a hard acceleration for 90 seconds. On the way back I did a few short standing intervals. I was back at the car with 25 minutes left until my race. I slugged another 1/3 of my Cytomax. I headed back up the road just to keep loose and to keep the sweat flowing. I was back at my car just as the Cat 3/4 race was ending. I slammed down the rest of the Cytomax and hit the track for a warm up lap. I wanted to time it so that when I was rolling through the start/finish line people would be lining up. I timed it perfectly and got a spot in the front row. Everything was going according to plan so far.

The field was a little smaller than last week. I would say maybe 27 to 30 were lined up in total. The Cat 5, 35+ Cat 4/5 and the Cat 4 women all race at the same time. I was signed up for Cat 5. After role call, we were ready to race. I heard music in my head from earlier in the day.

“Whiskey bottles and brand new cars;
oak tree you're in my way.
There's too much coke and too much smoke
Look what's going on inside you……”

The race got started and I didn’t accelerate as hard as some others from the line and ended up in the top 1/3 of the pack after about ½ lap. The race was starting out faster than I had hoped. After 1 lap I was still in the top 1/3 and my HR was climbing fast. After about 5 laps I noticed a problem. I was not advancing while other people were. This put me farther back than mid pack. I said to myself, “Come on dude. You gotta move the fuck up!” (I tend to swear at myself a lot during these self talks) I stayed on the accelerations coming out of the corners just a bit longer than the rest of the pack and was able to advance in the next 3 laps putting me back into the top 1/3 of the pack. At this point I was really starting to hurt. It was hot, my heart rate was almost maxed and we still had not seen the 5 laps to go card yet. I said to myself, “Dude, it is supposed to fucking hurt. DO NOT FUCKING SIT UP.” I looked around and was fairly certain that everyone else was suffering too. We were starting to lap people. We came through the start/finish line again and there was the card for 5 laps to go. The pace started to pick up on the next lap. We were coming around the corner by registration when all of a sudden, people ahead grabbed their brakes for a reason I never determined. One dude behind us couldn’t get stopped and headed off into the infield and I heard a THUD behind me. It was soft in there from the rain the previous day and he was fine luckily. We came around with 4 laps to go and I was starting to feel a bit better. I was still in the top 1/3 of the pack. 3 to go. 2 to go. Last lap. I said to myself, “Ok dude, time to put it all out there.” The pace was fast for about 2/3 of the last lap and then it was just all out. I think there were 2 guys about 10 meters out front and then the rest of the pack which got thinned out coming around the corner before the start/finish. The sprint to the start/finish is probably 100 meters. In the sprint I passed one person, but didn’t pass anyone else. They only posted the top 3 Cat.5s in the results. I think I was about 5th or 6th. I know that some of the people that finished ahead of me were 35+. So, a huge improvement over last week. I went from getting dropped with 5 laps to go to making the sprint. My average speed went from 22.5 mph last week to 25.1 mph this week (because I didn’t get dropped). My average HR was a screaming 93.7% of my measured max. Despite all the suffering, I had a smile on my face as I crossed the finish line. That feeling is what it is all about.

22 Comments:

Blogger bryan said...

That, sir, is f'ing awesome. Well done.

5/4/07, 5:57 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Woooooo hooooo! You had me on the edge of my seat. Congrats on making the final sprint - good finish! I knew the day was coming soon that you were going to make the entire race in the pack. You rock!

5/4/07, 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job broseph. Way to wake up with the game face on and bring that shit all the way to the line. 161 is going to be a marked man next week. HA!

5/4/07, 6:31 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

A-w-e-s-o-m-e! Keep progressing like that and you will become a crit monster.

5/4/07, 8:41 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

suhweet! good job!

i love the part about the # being pinned upside down too.

5/4/07, 10:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bryan - thanks man.

Chatterbox - Thanks. What a great feeling to be there at the end.

Sully - HA! Whateva bro.

Rick - thanks. Now if I could only go up hill better :)

Lauren - yeah, the number upside down thing is funny now, but I was annoyed because the first was such and awesome pin job.

5/5/07, 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! Now remember that feeling for all your subsequent races, and it will all be gravy. (If only...)

5/5/07, 6:09 AM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

Wow! Great job, Chris. And that's a lot of weight to have dropped too. I'm impressed. You must be feeling great. Looking forward to reading about more races. :D

5/5/07, 6:13 AM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Good job Chris. I'm glad to hear that other people "mentally swear" at themselves too!

5/5/07, 7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic; you are my hero man! I will have to use this as inspiration not to bail when things get tough tomorrow (and they will).
And I was feeling good about dropping 4 lbs since the season started but holy poundage, Batman! Keep it up! :^)

5/5/07, 3:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Fendergal - I have the feeling etched in my mind and will be retrieved when needed.

Syd - I do feel better, but I still have a lot of work today. Next race in 3 weeks.

Danielle - I am not sure why I do it but I always address myself as dude followed by a few F-bombs.

Oldman - Good luck tomorrow. I have seen your pic, you don't have much to lose.

5/5/07, 7:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

That's a great story! 40lbs huh? That's like two road bikes (or one downhill bike) worth of weight you've lost!.

It's a funny thing about suffering. You see a rider in front of you, and you imagine it's easy for them. But once you get it in your head that they're suffering just as bad as you, you can talk yourself into out-suffering them. It's a big mental game you play with yourself.

5/5/07, 9:29 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

Very impressive! And great (funny) writeup. I totally swear at myself too..haha.

5/6/07, 6:12 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

swear at yourself? holy crap!

:)

great job, brother!

peace out, yo!

5/6/07, 7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic race report, Chris. I felt like I was there and amongst the action. The thought of a crit scares me right now, but you certainly make it sound like a lot of fun. I've only been on the road bike for a little over six months...so maybe I'll try some road racing (non-24 hours) in '08. You sure make it sound exciting.

Congrats on your mucho-improved stats!

5/7/07, 6:22 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Chris, you are rocking my world - great job. And if you ain't hurting, you're not racing! way to shut 'em all up! Fine job.

5/7/07, 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your improvement in just one week is inspirational. I am so, so impressed.

5/7/07, 3:41 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

That was a fun read, and very inspiring!

Great job!

5/7/07, 7:45 PM  
Blogger riderpitts said...

strong - great acceptance of pain

5/8/07, 2:27 PM  
Blogger EB said...

Very cool -- nice job! I love the numbers like 888 and 111 that you can pin either way and no one cares. 191/161 is close.

I'm also a cusser, but my chatter tends to be out loud, which can make for some weird looks in the group.

5/9/07, 12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great write up Chris, I'm with Chatterbox...I was right on the edge waiting for the climax:)

Peace

5/10/07, 8:58 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

yay! everyone else said everything I'd say so I'll just echo


echo



echo

5/11/07, 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home