Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Retro Rocket

It is finally done. It took longer than expected but I am very happy with the outcome. I can't wait to take it out for a long ride. I think I will do the shop ride on Sunday which is more of a leisurely ride so that I can get the feel for it at a reasonable pace.


First I would like to thank my head wrench, Angelo "The Bug", for all of his hard work and knowledge. Here he is probing for thread integrity and metal fatigue. It's a new technique.


Here is a side view. I will zoom in on all of the parts in the following photos.


The frame is a steel Cicli Rossetto. The frame is designed and sold by the owner of Fog City Cycles in San Francisco.


The rear derailer is a New Old Stock "NOS" Campy Super Record. The freewheel is a "Narrow Six" 13-23 from Suntour. The frame came with the current standard 130mm rear spacing. The rear hub that I wanted to use requires 120mm spacing. So off to Pro Cycle Works the frame went for Erik Vitela to narrow the rear drop out.


Front derailler is NOS Campy Super Record. I am not sure why, but I think this is the most attractive part on the bike. This thing is just gorgeous. I bought most of the NOS Campy parts for this build from Greg at Bicycle Classics.


Campy downtube friction shifters.


The crank is a Gipiemme Cronosprint. The chain rings are 52/42. Behind the crank is a NOS Campy Record bottom bracket - the old spindle and cup type.


The front and rear hubs are High Flange Campy Record. These may have been the best score on the bike. I got the pair in the original box as NOS on EBay for $135.


The rims are 36 hole Wolber "Gentleman 81" for a gentleman rider. PFFT! Peter at Southwest Cycle Sport laced the Campy hubs up to these rims.


I got these gum wall Veloflex tires from Michael at Texas Cycle Sport. These tires were perfectly flat (un curved) out of the box and were tough to mount. They are also lightweight and thin so I am a bit concerned about flats. Again, there are not a lot of choices out there for gum wall tires today so I will have to make due with these.


The brakes are Gipiemme. I got a good deal on these as NOS on EBay, however, I missed that the seller was in Poland. It took them almost 6 weeks to show up. You can see the headset which is a 1" Threaded Chris King.


Gipiemme brake levers with gum hoods purchased from Banana Brain.


Brooks leather handle bar wrap. Note the masterful wrap job by yours truly.


Brooks Swift Titanium Saddle. I put two coats of their saddle soap on it to get it all good and weather proof. I also put a coat on the handle bar wraps.


I bought these new on EBay because they are the same pedals that I use on my other roadie. This will make it possible to use the same shoes with both bikes.


And finally a view from the front.

I had a good time building the bike and am happy with the result. However, I think I will focus on riding the bikes I have now rather than building or buying more. At least for a while that is. :)

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The bike looks great; it was worth the wait. Great selection of parts, especially the saddle! Love those seats. Had one on my first road bike and gave it away; Dooh!
"The Bug-ster" and his old man did good!

4/25/07, 8:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, how many bikes are in your current stable? It's bee-yoo-tee-ful. Named it, yet?

Tell your "ace" mechanic he's a cutie.

4/26/07, 3:02 AM  
Blogger rigtenzin said...

I really like the overall look of the bike. The details just make it better.

4/26/07, 9:38 AM  
Blogger Here and there said...

I am in awe, that is a beauty!

4/26/07, 10:06 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Sweet! Enjoy the ride. I especially like the Brooks saddle and leather wrap combo. That is nice! Your wrench is a true master.

4/26/07, 11:25 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

oooh, it looks good! very, very nice!

and what a cute little bug! i love that hair.

4/26/07, 3:31 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

you done good, chris! sweet!

peace out, yo!

4/26/07, 5:55 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Oldman - you gave it away?? Those things aren't cheap nowadays. Darn.

Mallie - I have 4 bikes. And I have named this one Retro Rocket.

Chatterbox - he is the best wrench in the West.

Lauren - I wish I had as much hair as he does.

Blue - Thanks Brutha.

4/26/07, 6:55 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

Very nice. I dig the frame, but I'm partial to silver in general. A build in my garage is on my 'to-do someday' list.

4/26/07, 7:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Chris- Awesome bike. And everybody is right, Bug is a cutie.

4/26/07, 7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I had a habit of doing that. Gave my brother a bike 10 years ago and it just collects dust in his garage.
I have a retro-off road-rocket bike that I should rebuild; 1992 Barracuda Elite Team with a Manitou Four fork. Maybe this will inspire me to get to work on it. Now, where are those anodized purple brake hangers I used to have?

4/27/07, 5:25 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

S-w-e-e-t! Love the retro. I am a Brooks fan, glad the Eye-talians are letting them keep things the way they were. One of the conductors on the morning train, Dangerous Bob, always comes back to check out the Brooks on my retro commuter.

Not many folks go with the old Ultra 6; think you and Jobst are the only ones I can think of now.

Way to go! Show them on the Sunday ride that retro does not mean slow :-)

4/27/07, 7:23 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Aww, great pic of the bambino.

As for the bike - gorgeous!

4/27/07, 1:50 PM  
Blogger megan said...

geez. i love the downshifters. its a beautiful build. many happy rides.

4/27/07, 2:20 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

schweet bike!

4/30/07, 5:51 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

awesome, love the saddle and the down tube shifters. how is she riding now? how many miles have you put on it?

10/14/07, 6:50 PM  
Blogger Melvin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/31/12, 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home