Saturday, July 21, 2007

Le (The) Tour


I was the first to count Michael Rasmussen (The Chicken) out. I stated that after the time trial, we would not hear from him again. I have to admit, I underestimated him. He dug deep today to ride the best time trial of his career. He is a minute up on 2nd place and the Tour is heading to the Pyrenees tomorrow. I honestly think that he has a good shot a riding into Paris in yellow. And speaking of inspirational, how about Vino throwing it down? I think he made two statements today: 1) That he isn't going to give up. 2) A statement to Kloden that he is the stud of Astana, like it or not.

I think we are going to see some controversy on Discovery with Contador in 3rd place. Should he still be expected to ride for Levi when he is clearly in better form in the mountains? Personally, I would like to see Contador be given the go-ahead by Discovery to ride his own race in the Pyrenees.

To me, this has been the best Tour in years. There have been some inspirational moments. How about the win by Juan Mauricio Soler from Barloworld in Stage 9? That dude won't be forgotten soon. How about Robbie McEwen weaving his way through the peleton after crashing and taking a convincing win in Stage 1? There has even been inspiration without victory. How about the break yesterday in Stage 12 by Fredrigo and Txurruka that got caught with 800m to go? Did you see Txurruka's face with 2km to go? He was in agony but still flogging it as hard as he could trying to stay away. I can't wait until tomorrow.

As for me, I had a pretty uneventful ride today and got rained on a bit. I went to Lowe's to get salt and bleach so I could recharge my water treatment system. Fun fun. I also went to the grocery to buy the new Power Bar nutrition "system." I figured I would give it a try since it is cheap compared to some of the others on the market which to me are SOOO overpriced. I have used the gels and bars before like everyone, but never the recovery drink. The Cytomax I was using did ok. It just tasted like shit. We shall see.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I avoid anything sold as a "system." I also hate the word "solution" in marketing.

Anyway, let us know what you think of this, um, array of products. I liked Powergels before they made the stuff runnier a few years ago. Powerbars are fine, but are too temperature dependent.

My own hydration preferences:

Pre race: Cytomax

During race: orange Accelerade with Nuun tablets (an electrolyte replacement tablet)

After race: Coke, water with Nuun, V8 is also good for really hot days. However, honestly, I have fallen into the habit of not drinking too much after the race, because I hate having to stop a million times to pee.

7/22/07, 6:35 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

the best tour in years. absolutely. as for michael.... i think he'll do it. alone. his boys can't keep up.

peace out, yo!

7/23/07, 4:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been digging this years race. There have been some pretty dramatic moments but it will all come down to the Pyrenees. I have been secretly pulling for Cadel Evens, but glad to see Rasmussen doing well too.
Not much of a Power Bar fan; I tend to favor Clif bars, Clif shots or GU. I would agree with you; if it tastes terrible, I am not going to use it.

7/23/07, 5:46 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

fudge rounds....

oatmeal cream pies....

bug juice....

7/23/07, 11:37 AM  
Blogger The SullaVinos: said...

I'm conflicted about Michael. I want to like him but he is so dang skinny. I know the rest of them are skinny too, but he's so tall that it makes it look even worse. I so badly want to invite him to dinner and serve him my favorite veal parm and my best three-cheese lasagna. So, Michael, come on over and have a good Italian meal.

7/23/07, 1:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Fendergal - Thanks for the advice. I love Spicy V8. I should give that a try. I have seen the Nuun tablets around too. And I will have to try Accelerade just because of the number of commercials they have out recently Holy shit.

Blue - you forgot Rice Crispie Treats. The best workout snack ever.

Oldman - Cadel would be awesome. He is going to have to have a massive time trial if he is going to do it. Time will tell.

Country - you don't like your men at 6' and 135 pounds? You don't like pelvic bones and a full spinal column poking through the skin? HA!

7/23/07, 3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My husband just hollers, "order a pizza" when he sees any of the weight weenies.

I find most sport beverages a little chalky, so I add in a bit of sugar free lemonade mix. I like sour anyway, and it gets rid of anychalkiness. Then I love me some Cytocrack. GU2O is pretty good too.

7/24/07, 2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And about Rasmussen. I thought Armstrong was a dick, but Razzy has got him beat in that category. Too bad Vino is so, so screwed on GC.

Let me put in yet another plug for the Tour day Schmalz reports on NYvelocity.

My favorite Nuun flavor: Kona Cola. It *almost* tastes like a flat coke, and you feel virtuous drinking it because it has so few calories and hopefully won't rot your teeth.

7/24/07, 7:32 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

hey! did ya'll read the news about vino today?

tsk, tsk.

7/24/07, 12:10 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Chris - Now you know how Vino has been able to throw it down; just add a few more RBC's and good to go. But, just like in the Tyler case, some idiot switched bags. Ooops.

As for Rasmussen, too much of a cloud. Anyone who has to bring a lawyer to the rest day interview to try to explain why they are in violation of the UCI rules is suspect. Add to that the fact that he races on a Monaco license, and Monaco is not diligent about out of competition testing, and for the 2 years before that he was on a Mexican license ... and they do zero out of competition testing. All too fishy.

7/25/07, 2:27 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Well, so much for that. If'n ye ask me, his doping was obvious almost from the get-go.

If Contador gets busted . . . Well, I could say I'll quit watching cycling, but that'd last about 1 week.

7/25/07, 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home