Monday, November 17, 2008

Plyomyohmy

I am full swing into training now and feel great. I gained about 6 pounds in the off season which is bad, but could have been worse. The plan right now is cycling and running for base building as well as weights and plyometrics for strength. I am not sold on the plyo just yet. I think more because I feel discombobulated while I am doing the jumps. They look easy in pictures and on video, but seem hard to do. I don't ever want to see what I look like doing them. This year will be a year without a coach for me. We are buckling down to save money like everyone else and I decided to give it a go on my own this year. I really liked my coach and felt that my results were improving steadily. Hopefully I will be able to keep things going on my own this year.

Dinner time at my house has turned into a zoo. Angelo basically plays with his food and doesn't eat anything and Tony screams and tries to feed the dogs constantly. Every night food, sippy cups, forks, and spoons hit the floor. Every night I am cleaning up food schmeg from high chair and booster seat crevasses. I have to instill some Chris Discipline, aka Chriscipline, before things get totally out of hand.

Book Review:

I heard people raving about the Johan Bruyneel book "We Might As Well Win", so I figured I better give it a read. I have to be honest, I wasn't impressed at all. While I am impressed with the success that JB has had both as a DS and a cyclist, I felt the book was totally written to fit the outcome. In other words, the story was written completely on hindsight in my opinion. Grade: C-


Here is something that I will give a fantastic review to - Shiner Holiday Cheer. Their description: "an Old World Dunkelweizen brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans. The malty flavors of this dark wheat ale are enhanced through the use of malted barley and wheat. And Kräusening ensures a smoothness that makes the subtle peach and pecan flavors all the more satisfying." Fuckin' eh. One after work, one after that, one for dinner, one after that, and two before bed will do you good.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Please supply me with a Plyo video of you to watch while I sip on my imported Shiner Holiday Cheer!!!

You made me have a great laugh this morning...good luck with the kidlettes, it'll only last a few more years!! LOL

11/18/08, 3:31 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

yeah, like 15 more years.

glad it's you, buddy.

shiner... oh yeah! enjoy. just be careful not to drink so much that you float away.

11/18/08, 4:52 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Good to hear you're back training and enjoying it. I understand the whole cutting back thing. I can also feel your pain at dinner. We have a 5 year old, an 8 month old and two golden retrievers. It gets interesting.
As far as the Shiner... I sure hope now I can find it here. I'm a Shiner Bock fan. But if I follow your plan... I won't make my usual 2am wake-up call. Cheers!

11/18/08, 5:46 AM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

Here's to fresh starts and new goals! I hear you on the ply stuff. It feels like crap and I am creaky as hell but I think the more I do the smoother and more skilled I'll become - let's hope anyway.

Sounds like dinnertime is very relaxing..not!

11/18/08, 7:19 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

A six pack a day ....

Plyowhatsit will not pass the ortho test for me; no axial loading of the hip are the orders, so I'll just take the Shiner and watch you. But you have to do my sets, too.

11/18/08, 7:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am counting 6 beers a night. Drop 5 of those and you probably could afford your coach and lose the pounds in the process. Just sayin.
Poly-what-the-hell? Is this some new-agey crap that supposed to balance your chakra or somethin'?
As Niner bikes says, "just pedal damnit!" :^)
Good luck with the kids; my youngest son is almost 20 and he eats like that at every meal!

11/18/08, 9:29 AM  
Blogger Here and there said...

Plyohometrics? haven't heard of that yet. I know some folks at my gym are into the CrossFit thing. Good luck with the toddlers, holy terror! Don't know how you do it.

11/18/08, 9:42 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I pretty much ride every damn day and still gained 5 lbs recently. Mmmm...comfort foods.

I'd like to try that Old World Dunkelweizen!

11/18/08, 4:28 PM  
Blogger AMR said...

Good news that you are back training... YOU are approaching Winter, do you mean wind-trainer?You are funny, a six-pack everynight and only 6 pounds gained, you are lucky!
I think a few photos of THE dinner time would be a new form of global contraception.
oldmanandhisbike has a point!
AMR

11/18/08, 7:32 PM  
Blogger AMR said...

BTW, thanks for the book review, I won't be wasting my time.
AMR

11/18/08, 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plyometrics SUCK when you are doing it. I feel like a giant slo-mo buffoon jumping around at the gym, but it does work.

I am also opting out of paying for a coach this coming year. I figure I've got eight years of workouts filed away somewhere. All I gotta do is find 'em!

Dinner with you guys sounds fun!

11/18/08, 8:10 PM  
Blogger jahowie said...

Sounds like a good beer!! I'm currently loving Bell's Amber Ale. It's made here in Michigan too. :-) Nice job on the training.

11/19/08, 6:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lily - NEVER :)

Blue - nah, they are on their own when they reach 8.

Donald - if I really drank that much I wouldn't get up either.

Betty - let's exchange plyo videos for laughs!

Rick - more like 1 if I am lucky, but I can still dream.

Oldman - sounds like you need to drop some discipline of your own!

Jeff - it is the time of year everyone gains weight. No use worrying about it until after New Years.

Cyndy - the are just jumping drills to help gain explosive power. As I said, I am not yet sold.

AMRcyclist - I would post some pictures but I usually can't find my camera in this place.

Fendergal - good luck on your coachlessness. You have been around long enough to know how to train.

Jahowie - I will have to have the Oldman get some Bells for me next time I am in MI.

11/19/08, 6:10 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Since you have worked out your nutrition perfectly, I think, you will do just fine without a coach. :-) Good luck. I highly recommend Friel's Training Bible for self-coaching but you've probably already read it.

11/20/08, 12:42 AM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

a lot of the crossers do plyo stuff.

not me though.

training's for wimps.

11/20/08, 8:29 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i'm with lauren....

training's for wimps.

:)

11/21/08, 4:50 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Groover - I will have to check that out.

Lauren - amen! Drinking is more fun.

Blue - you know it brutha.

11/22/08, 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home