Monday, March 16, 2009

University Oaks Criterium

On Sunday I raced at the University Oaks Criterium in San Antonio. It was raining the morning of the race and the course was soaked. By the time my race started the rain had stopped, but the course was still wet and slippery. Due to the weather there were only 18 racers on the line at the start. The race was 40 minutes.

To make it short, on lap 4 a rider got a little gap and I bridged up to him. I pulled through and looked back and he was fading. I decided to hammer it and see what happened. It basically turned into a 34 minute LT threshold interval. I was able to stay away and win by about 20 seconds. I would have preferred to win with a bigger field, but it is what it is.


Sporting my new racing moustache that my wife loves so much.


Sometime during the race.


The field chasing.

Quote of the Day

There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king shit cop! All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir. -John Rambo-

12 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

CONGRATS on the win!!!! woohoo! that's good stuff!

3/17/09, 4:51 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

KICK ASS... Congrats on the 34 minute endurance schooling and the big win. Is that your first, 1st place? 18 people or 40... it only takes one more person to finish second and you won my friend! Wow... that was deep.

3/17/09, 12:33 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

You made winning sound so everyday. You're flahute.

3/17/09, 12:40 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

A win is a win and you must be showing some form to do it in a breakaway...that shows some real mental toughness

3/17/09, 1:51 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Congratulations. You are flying, man. Well done. I love stories of solo break-aways that succeed.

3/17/09, 2:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - thanks man.

Donald - yes, first official win. Thanks.

Ron - are you doing the Battenkill this year? I was looking at the prereg and it is HUGE.

Buttsy - it is coming along. Still lots and lots of races in Texas this year.

Groover - after trying break after break I finally got one to stick.

3/17/09, 7:02 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Congratulations on the win Chris. I can't wait to know what that feels like!

3/18/09, 4:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looking good there Magnum! Sweet stash. Dave Zabriskie wants you to be his DZ Nuts spokesperson!
That doesn't seem to be slowing you down either.
Hey, a win is a win. You went for it and did the hard work. Congratulations on your success.
Keep up the good work!

3/18/09, 5:04 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

CONGRAT'S, awesome race! Nice moustache!!!

3/18/09, 7:09 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Congrats, dude. I hear the first is always the hardest.

And love the 'stache. I had one for 30 years straight, and keep thinking I should grow it back.

3/19/09, 9:39 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

Sweet! Your first win. Nicely done. And, in style.

3/19/09, 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All sorts of awesome! Congrats! A win is a win! Don't play it down.

3/21/09, 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home