Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Time Has Arrived

First Race Report:

On Sunday I raced the Tour of New Braunfels Road Race. My high intensity is not yet there, but training has been going well enough so I figured I would have a go. The field was full at 70. The race was three 15 mile loops. The race started out at a moderate pace. There was some squirreliness from time to time, but nothing too alarming. A rider from Bicycle Heaven went to the front midway through the first lap and opened a gap of about 50 meters. It wasn't an attack, more of a moderate effort that nobody responded to. After about 5 minutes it looked to me like he was opening the gap up a bit. I decided to bridge up. I certainly didn't kill it to get to him, but nobody followed me. He said, "How do you feel?" I said, "Not too bad." Then off we went. We worked together well and managed to open up a sizable gap on the field. It became apparent to me that he was fitter than me at this point in the season. About 1/2 lap later a group of 4 bridged up to us. One guy was moving fast and my break away partner hooked on to him and off they went. I didn't think I could hang with them, so I didn't respond. The other two guys gave it a go and ended up not getting on and were up the road about 50 meters. I looked back and the pack had made up some ground. I decided to fall back and give it a go with the pack. When it became apparent that the break(s) weren't coming back, I told my teammate Jeremy (Cat 5 TX ITT Champ), that he better get to gettin'. He went up the road and I stayed on the front to control the pace. In fact, I stayed on the front for MILES and MILES and nobody even tried to go. My hopes were that Jeremy would be able to bridge up and then go with a few miles left and get the win. As it turned out, he wasn't able to catch the two leaders. He did catch the second break and then that break got caught by another small chase that took off from my group. He finished 8th and I finished in the sprint for 15th. Not bad for this time of year, but not great by any stretch. I think if we could have gotten Jeremy up with the two leaders earlier he would have had a chance at the W. Oh well.

On another note, I have had a cold for over two weeks that doesn't appear to be getting better. Sore throat, congestion, blah. If it doesn't go away soon I am heading to the doctor. Everyone I know is sick right now. Maybe it is a TX thing.

Here is "The Other Perspective."

14 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

lots of things are "texas" things, buddy....

the puke in the video needs an ass whoopin'. people like that breed more people like that and those people breed more and it goes on and on. of course, there are some nimrods on bikes out there too. they also could use an ass whoopin'

welcome back to the blogosphere. :) let me be the first to say WE MISSED YOU, BUDDY!

2/3/09, 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Year of the Ox, Chris! Glad to know somebody's been training.

2/3/09, 6:25 PM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

Have you been following a training plan or just doing your own thing?

2/3/09, 7:05 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

well hello there!

we're all sick out here in california too. it's getting old.

2/3/09, 10:27 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - I hope to keep up with the blogging from here on in. We'll see.

Fendergal - You staying warm up there?

Itchy Bits - I had a coach the past two seasons. I am following a training plan this season based on what my coach provided me in the past.

Lauren - get well!

2/3/09, 11:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sick in MI today too. Maybe, its the plague.
Glad to see your still with us and cycliing. Had me worried there for awhile. Glad your racing already. Sounds like you have been training; wish I could say the same for myself!

Though the limey bastard in the video needs some "persuading" to see things our way, we do need to understand the stupid things we do that bug people in cars. One bad apple is creating these opinions, so try not to be that apple.

But if you see this guy on the road, kick his door for me!

2/4/09, 6:16 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Welcome back from your vacay from blogland! As Blue said, "there is no licence to breed"

Sounds like it was a good race for the beginning of the season.

Get better soon, and again, like Blue, "we missed YOU"

2/4/09, 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, sorry to hear you're sick.

2/4/09, 2:26 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Welcome back - 15th suonds ok in a field of 70 and it sounds like you had a few hard goes in the race.......good starting point......and the TX thing must be like a Qld thing here in Oz

2/4/09, 7:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - you need to search him out and instill some Oldman Discipline.

Lily - thanks. First would have been better, but I am not complaining (too much).

Arlyn - thanks

Buttsy - I will trade you my place for your most recent place :)

2/5/09, 9:47 AM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

I have to agree with buttsy, sounds like you nearly won the field sprint.

The video made me laugh.

Just yesterday I saw a bike stop and then ride through the red light. I said, "oh, don't do that" to myself, but understand why he did. He can get down the road and maybe even reach his turn-off before the 4 lane onslaught comes.

On the other hand, it seems to cultivate such tension in the cages.

2/5/09, 9:57 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

They said the flu was off to a slow start this year. Maybe now that it is going, it will be bad.

Good race report. It looks like it was a really good tactical learning experience.

2/5/09, 12:02 PM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

First, welcome back to the land of blogs. I was wondering who would blink first, you or me ;-)

And second, the illness has pervaded the NorCal area for the past few weeks, making the circuit. I know it is no consoloation, but know you are part of the suffering masses far beyond the borders of Texico.

And third, good tactical practice. Next time you and your teammie will adjust the tactics and soon you will be getting that success.

2/5/09, 12:39 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Welcome back, Chris. I'm looking forward to many great race reports and don't stress about not showing great form early. It'll be a long season!

Even all sick here in Oz - and it's not even winter!

As for the video: SCARY!

2/6/09, 2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home