Sunday, May 13, 2007

Riding the Rocket

Saturday was a scheduled day off from training. Today I met a few guys at the shop at 8am and we headed out to do an extended version of the Dam Loop. I decided to take the Retro Rocket out today because the pace is typically slower on Sundays.

The ride ended up being right at 40 miles with a few nice climbs. It felt great to be back on the bike after a week of work travel.


The crew heading over the bridge that crosses the Colorado River.


Peter, the owner of Southwest Cycle Sport, hammering down the road.


Heading South on RT. 360. This was the last picture I took because everytime I took one I fell off the back and had to bridge back up.

I am in Cleveland and Virginia most of this coming week. Back to back weeks of travel just suck. I will do the Thursday Crit again the week after next and have signed up for the AT&T Crit in Downtown Austin

Other news:


The Bug got his first pair of Crocs this week.


Can you believe that they can now claim Organic Gum Drops?? And look at the price per pound on these things!


Today we went to Hamilton Pool for the first time. It is about 6 miles from my house and we have always wanted to check it out. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least.

11 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

gum drops are good, organic or not!

looks like a great ride.

travel for work.... i spent most of 2005 commuting back and forth to st. cloud, minn. that really kicks consistant bike riding in the junk. i managed, but barely.

peace out, yo!

5/14/07, 4:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What exactly is the definition of "organic" now anyway? If a gum drop can be all natural, then just about anything can I guess.

Bet it felt good to be back on your bike again. I can see where traveling on a regular basis would make it tough to stay on the training schedule.
Sounds like your really getting into this road racing stuff! More power to you for battling bar to bar on the asphalt; I think I will stick to dirt.

5/14/07, 7:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The term "organic" just doesn't mean anything anymore, now that you can put it on just about anything. Sounds like you had a good Sunday ride. Hope the travel weeks fly by and you get back to that cutie in his new shoes!

5/14/07, 9:26 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

I find the best way to get the photos is to gap out in front a quarter mile or so, take the photos as the rider(s) approach/pass, then catch back up. Works best for me on hills where I can create a gap/catch back up faster than on the flats.

Try to find a good cross-training regimen for those travels, ride hard when home. Your progress has been great on the Thu crits so probably time to tackle the bigger venue.

5/14/07, 10:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - it has been a struggle but I have managed so far to make due with what is available for the workouts.

Oldman - "organic" to me is total marketing. Road racing is awesome. I wish I had more time to train and race, but I will take what I can get.

Mallie - I hope to slow the travel down after June. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Rick - thanks for the advice on the pics. I definitely need to change my technique.

The downtown Crit will be the first race where "non-locals" will be involved. Don't get me wrong, Austin has some damn fine cyclists. But his event should drawl in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. There are two Cat 5 races capped at 50 riders each.

5/14/07, 5:04 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

It'll drawl all right, but will it draw, too?

ha!

5/15/07, 10:18 AM  
Blogger EB said...

Sugar addict says: Those are not gum drops, those are fruit slices, which are far superior to gum drops. Maybe not $10/pound superior, though...

5/15/07, 11:02 AM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

chris - they don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothin'. But, pretty much everything there is certified organic. So, you're paying for something.

btw, love the Hamilton Pool photo. That looks like a lovely spot.

Good luck getting ready for the downtown crit! You'll do great.

5/15/07, 3:30 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

organic brownie bites.

whole foods also has those. oh man, they're so good!

5/15/07, 4:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lauren - are thy hydrophonic (sp?) too?

5/15/07, 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shots of the Dam Loop bro. Lots of good times had on those hills.

No visible arm warmers tell me the temps must have finally made it into the 80's.

Once you got it up keep it up.

Adios from the 27560

5/16/07, 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home