Monday, August 13, 2007

Hell Hound

It was 99 degrees when I left for my ride tonight. Awesome! For some reason, it didn't seem quite that hot. I decided to only ride for an hour to avoid becoming buzzard food. So it was just me and the Retro Rocket and the cows and the goats and the Addax and the Wildebeest out on Fitzhugh Road.

The strangest thing happened to me tonight. I was spinning down the road and all of a sudden I heard the familiar commotion of a dog coming up fast behind me. I turned to see what looked to be a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Pitt Bull closing the gap fast. I could hear the heavy breathing and the claws clattering on the blacktop as he zeroed in on me. He looked like he wanted to whoop my ass good. And then it happened. He ran right past me without even looking over and just kept hauling ass right up the middle of the road. He kept going for about 1/8th mile until the intersection with the road I was turning on. He stopped, turned around and looked at me. I honestly think he was saying, "I just smoked your ass, brah."

I was reading Bicycling Magazine recently and saw an article by J. Vaughters on "How to Get Fast, blah blah." One interval workout that he recommended sounded like a bitch so I figured I would give it a try this weekend when I was supposed to be racing. Since no races were reasonable options, a ride with an interval workout would have to do. The workout is to go 10 seconds all out (600 - 1000 watts) followed by 20 seconds of moderate wattage (150 - 200 watts - no coasting!) over and over again for 10 minutes. I only lasted 5 minutes before I was seeing stars. What a muthafucker that workout is. However, one thing I can say for sure is that it is the best simulation for the last 2 or 3 minutes of a crit that I have encountered. Give it a try.

9 Comments:

Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

J Vaughters as in Director Sportif of Slipstream Sports? Guy is gaining some cred with all his recent signings. Might have to think about his workout, assuming of course I am going to race ;-)

BTW, my tri-spoke carbon wheels, Nimbles, will soon be on Fitzhugh road. Not on a bike, but back at the factory for a checkup and warranty work. Perhaps I should come and ride that road sometime.

8/13/07, 8:28 PM  
Blogger allan said...

I tried that workout this past Sunday. It is definitely a mf'r!!!!

8/14/07, 2:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Rick - That is him. Hopefully Slipstream will get that available ProTour license and make us all proud.

Allan - yeah. Incredibly hard.

8/14/07, 5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read that article by Vaughter's too. I decided to try the "starve yourself after your ride" suggestion. I held out for almost 15 minutes! :^)
I think I'll take a pass on the "interval until you throw up" method. Just doesn't work for me.

8/14/07, 6:01 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

you guys work too hard....

:)

8/14/07, 5:42 PM  
Blogger Pete Basso said...

Chris - that is halarious about the dog. That has happened to me before on a gravel road. My heart rate spiked, adrenaline increased and I was ready for full canine combat when he ran right by me. I had to laugh at myself when it happened. Anyway, great job on the intervals, those babies hurt.

8/15/07, 5:44 AM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

When we're out walking our greyhound and a runner comes past, my hubby likes to tell them our dog wants to race them. :-)

Hmmm, will have to try the mf'r workout. Wheee!!!

8/15/07, 2:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - 15 minutes is a start. The good thing about not eating is that puking will be almost impossible when you do the intervals.

Blue - I should work harder for sure.

Pete - most dogs just like to play I think. I have only had a few over the years that have really been a problem.

Eclectchick - give it a go. Be prepared to hurt :)

8/15/07, 8:21 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

yeah the bonk work out was one of the other ones he suggested - where you don't eat right after you do a super long ride.

i think that's for the youngins. i tried that a few times last year (not on purpose) and it took me a week to recover each time.

8/15/07, 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home