Thursday, August 16, 2007

Where Did I Put That Snorkel?

Here we go again. The rain has arrived and looks like it will be staying for a few days. Tropical Storm Erin is twirling in the Gulf and dumping lots of rain on South Texas. Yup, you guessed it. The races tonight have already been cancelled. Siggghh.

We were supposed to go to Cincinnati this weekend to visit with my wife's family. She has been having a lot of contractions over the past few days and has just felt a bit off, so after talking to our doctor we decided to cancel the trip. Instead, we both decided to take a few days of vacation and just relax. So, I am sitting in a coffee shop having some drip coffee and watching it rain. Maybe I will dig First Blood out today for my once every 3 year viewing.

As for the racing scene, it looks like I will get to do 5 or 6 more races this year including the Priority Health Crit in Grand Rapids, MI and the Corpus Christi Criterium. I have had 4 races cancelled in the past month - three Thursday Nighters and the Bear Creek Criterium in Houston. All were cancelled due to rain or flooding. A bit of bad luck, but oh well. I will upgrade to Cat. 4 at the end of the year and hopefully hit it hard starting in February when the first TX races start. I will continue my weight loss efforts over the off-season. I have dropped 54 pounds so far and still have a way to go. I hope to start the 2008 season at my ideal weight which I think is around 150-155. We shall see.

The new little man is arriving the first week of November. I am getting excited to meet the next member of our family (which now consists of me, wife, Bug, Ender and Valentine). The Bug is getting more personality everyday. I really love that little boy. We went to the bike shop the other day and he was perched on the smallest bike in the shop and could touch the pedals. However, I think we are still 4-6 months away from when he can actually pedal it. Exciting times :)

The wife and I celebrated our 8th anniversary on Tuesday. We have had some rough patches, but I wouldn't change a thing. She is the best.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jeez, cut this man a break, will ya Weather Gods?! Sorry to hear of your continued stretch of moisture.
I did a large project in Cincinnati a few years back and spent quite a bit of time there. What part of town is your wife from? We actually did two buidings, one in Fairfield and the other in Anderson.
Good luck with the rest of your season this year. Your setting goals for next year already? I can't look any farther ahead than this afternoon (commuting today)! :^)
Congrats on the weight loss; that is a significant change. I am happy with 4 or 5 pounds in the spring!
Cherish those early bike riding days with Bug. Initially painful but eventually rewarding.
Happy Anniversary too!

8/16/07, 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I saw that weather report yesterday and thought about you. It's going to look like Brazil there pretty soon! Get a machete holster for your bike, and beware of the marmosets!

If you survive the "rough patches" in a marriage, you can move on to be stronger I think. They can bring you closer together and help you learn more about each other. We'll be celebrating 14 years this month. Whoo Hoo!

8/16/07, 9:56 AM  
Blogger Here and there said...

Hey, saw the weather pattern for your area, that really sucks. I'm planning ahead for winter riding too. I think I'm gonna snowboard less and ride more. It's fun to set goals.

8/16/07, 12:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman- she is from Anderson. Let me know what building you did and we can check it out next time we are there.

Jeff - if I carry a machete on my bike, it will likely be used for hillbillies, not marmosets.

Cyndy - I have never given snow boarding a try. Since there is no snow here, I am guessing it may be a while.

8/16/07, 5:44 PM  
Blogger chatterbox said...

yeah, I saw that big red splotch over Austin this morning and was thinking "chris is going to hate that".

Glad to hear you and the woman are taking some down time together. That's important. And, you've got to take care of Little Man II - make sure he doesn't try to move up the schedule.

8/16/07, 5:47 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

more rain! good god, that's insane.

and 54 pounds is amazing! wow! congrats on that and the anniversery.

sounds like everything is going great except for the rain.

8/16/07, 10:47 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

congrats on the anniversary! that's good work!

8/17/07, 4:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chris: That is so amazing. The project was the Mercy Center for Health and Wellness, across the street from Mercy Hospital and next to the Mall. I spent quite a bit of time in Anderson during the year that the building was under construction, so I knew where all the bike shops and Skyline Chili places were located!
When we were in the Bahama's a person sat down at our table one night. We were talking and she said she grew up in Anderson too and that her parents were members of that same Healthplex.
That Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing is really spooky!

8/17/07, 5:56 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oldman - I have been in that place before. My wife's father works out there so I have tagged along. Nice work.

8/17/07, 8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chris: It was a painful project (thus the reason I spent so much time there), but it is a very cool facility.
Pretty darn cool that you have been in the building!

8/17/07, 10:22 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Ms. Chatterbox and I were eating breakfast yesterday AM when they showed 'your friend' Erin with its devilish little twirl and we said something to the effect of 'poor Chris is getting it again'.

Wife time is good. And so is Bug time. Enjoy it. There is always another race.

8/17/07, 4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just like training for bike races, it's the rough patches that make you truly appreciate how good you've got it. El Jefe and I celebrated eight years in April. Take advantage of the rain and enjoy some good family time!

8/19/07, 3:37 AM  
Blogger Pete Basso said...

Congrats on the anniversary Chris, 8 years is pretty strong. Also, 54 lbs is something to really be proud of, especially the way you have done it. It will certainly stay off and you'll be lighter, faster and more fit next year. The fours are a lot more fun to race in, you'll see, the organization is better and safer. Sounds like its really been a great year for you...other than the rain :(

8/20/07, 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home