Friday, March 20, 2009

Driveway March 19th

Yesterday I raced at the Driveway. I wasn't able to get out there last week, so this was my first Driveway race of the year. There were 50-70 racers on the line. I don't know the exact number. The race was a very short 30 minutes.

A racer got a gap and I bridged up to him and pulled through. We were closed down in about a lap. I went with two more racers and we were closed down in about 1/2 lap. A few laps later I went with two other racers. I was second wheel and the dude in front was craning his neck to look back for the pack and ran right off the course. WTF. It was again brought back. On the last lap I was about 4th wheel when the speed started to pick up. As we climbed the grade on the course the dude in front of me either popped or just decided he didn't want any part of the finish so he just slowed up. I went to his left and he started drifting to the outside of the course (to the left). We brushed bars and I told him what I thought of his bone headed move. I mean, if you don't want to contest the finish get the fuck out of the way. That dropped me back to probably 8th. Going into the corner before the finish, the guy in front of me went down forcing me to lock up my brakes and basically come to a stop. At that point I had had it and soft pedaled to the line for 20th or so.

Moving forward I will do the 3/4 race. The 4/5 race just has too many sketchy riders in it. While my chances to win are better so are my chances of getting tangled up with a knuckle head.

Quote of the Day

I really love Rudy. He is totally enamored of me. I mean, I've had other men love me before, but not for six months in a row. -Ginny Baker-

7 Comments:

Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Man that sounds so frustrating, "fecking ejeet"!!

Good luck on the next one!

I'm heading out today for a 40 - 60K ride....I'll let you know all about it! It is cold here but what the heck.

3/21/09, 5:14 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

still have the moustache? it's manly, buddy. keep it.

"crush anything that gets in your way"

3/21/09, 11:21 AM  
Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

By all means stay away from the sketchy folks. The outcome can be pretty ugly ....

3/21/09, 3:20 PM  
Blogger Groover said...

Frustrating - but I'm glad though, you stayed upright.

3/21/09, 6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How long is this driveway?
Is it at Lance's house or something?
A half an hour race on a driveway? Do you have to avoid toys and parked cars or something? :^)
Well, I'm glad to hear you survived your altercations with skin and stache intact.
Better to finish 20th and live to race again!

3/23/09, 2:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lily - good luck with your riding.

Blue - Nah. My wife won that battle.

Rick - no doubt.

Groover - at least this time :)

Oldman - various loops from about 0.6 miles to 2 miles.

3/23/09, 7:12 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Chris,

I know how you feel man. I mean, I'm a Cat 5 but I've learned from several pros/ex-pros, and much experienced racers to know how to race properly. It's those Cat 5s that kind of just throw themselves in there with no racing experience or training. They can get pretty sketchy, as you have read in my collegiate races reports. Take it easy pal, and avoid crashing!

3/25/09, 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home