Monday, March 23, 2009

Fayetteville Stage Race

This past weekend, I did the Saturday road race of the Fayetteville Stage Race. I long ago decided I wouldn't do the time trial because I don't have a TT rig and just wasn't competitive without it last year. The rules are that if you don't start a stage, you can't enter any later stages. Therefore, I didn't race the second road race on Sunday. The race was 46 miles and the field was full at 75 racers. I had one other teammate in the race.

The race was foggy at the start. Just as last year, there was congestion on the narrow roads until the pace picked up and that pack spread out. Aside from a few accelerations, the pace was fairly steady. There were two crashes back to back. The first had people piled up all over the road. I think everyone was ok. The last few miles were at a very solid pace. I started my sprint at 220 meters or so which was a little too far out and ended up 6th. I need work on my sprint.


Fog early on.

Quote of the Day

We'll throw a huge party. I mean huge party! Everybody's invited. Women everywhere. All these girls, they're all there. Naked bodies everywhere. They all know my name. -Gary Wallace-

8 Comments:

Blogger bluecolnago said...

good job!

re: quote of the day...
my goal is to have every hooters girl in america know me by name when i walk in the door.

3/24/09, 4:54 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

hahaha Blue! Glad to hear you have a goal!

Chris, you race 46 miles, holy moly, you're my idol!

3/24/09, 6:03 AM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

Sounds like you have been racing a lot - things are just starting up around here. Thinking of doing a shorter TT but like you I have no TT bike or set-up not sure if worth bothering - long drive.

3/24/09, 7:07 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - how close are you to your goal?

Lily - some race much further :)

Betty - IMO the equipment makes a big difference.

3/24/09, 7:24 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Whilst I am yet to find out if a TT bike makes any difference, you can place some bars on a road bike and at least start the stage.....and if you train hard you should knock out a decent time....It is not the bike that wins, it is the legs driving the bike....I love Time Trials and have a TimeTrial bike which I have had for about a month and is yet to see the road yet.....have been busy busy busy.....a friend of mine who is a great Masters Mens 50-54 age group ITT rider says a ITT bike doesnt make you go that much faster it is the training that does....use stage racing as training go for the stage not the tour....

3/24/09, 7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your a busy boy these days!
I'll take 6th. Hell, after 46 miles, I'll take DFL!
Keep up the good work!

3/26/09, 10:06 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

well, buddy, all i can say is "so many hooters, so little time".

3/27/09, 6:58 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

For my sprinting, I use Chris Carmichael's Sprint training video, but I think naturally I just have sprinting capabilities on the bike. I used to beat all of my friends in 50-100 meter sprint races on mountain bikes and single speed!

Good job with the race though!

3/30/09, 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home