Thursday, February 15, 2007

Retro Roadie Postponed Until Further Notice

I decided to do something nice for Little Bro by buying him a road bike (his first ever). I used the funds that I had set aside for the Retro Roadie project. Oh well. I scoured the web for closeouts and deals. I ended up with something that I am pretty happy with. The bike is a Motobecane Le Champion SL. The frame is basically your typical Taiwanese genero aluminum. Nothing to brag about or complain about. It will do the job. But the components and wheels are pretty sweet for the price. I paid $1295 for the bike from Bikesdirect.com. The claimed weight is 15.5 pounds. I won't bother to confirm that, but it is feels light for sure. Little Bro is pretty excited and wants to get out on the road ASAP. I ordered him some Speedplay pedals and Northwave shoes that will arrive tomorrow. I figure for all of the shit I have given Little Bro over the years, he deserves something nice. He has turned out to be someone that I am proud of. He just got back from Iraq in June and finished college in December. He is living with me in TX while he looks for a job. He has an interview next week. I have my fingers crossed. Here are some pics:


Ultegra shifters and Ritchey WCS bars and stem.


These may be the best part of the bike.


FSA carbon crank and Ultegra front derailler.


MotobeWTF?


Ultegra rear derailler and cassette.


Ritchey WCS stem, Cane Creek SCR-5 brakes, and generic titanium railed saddle.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I did some research on Motobecane a while back. As it turns out, it is not the original Motobecane company...these guys are just using the name. The only dealers are Bikes Direct and some ebay stores which are probably one in the same. I also read that these guys have been buying Fuji frames...leftovers from the previous year's run. So basically, you're getting a nice Fuji frame with a Motobecane paint job and logos, and a lot of nice parts. They probably save a lot of money by buying the surplus frames...most of the expense is in the parts. So it's not your typical bicycle company, but the end product is about the same. A sweet deal for sure...

You are a nice brother! I guess it's much nicer to have a riding partner than an extra bike, huh?

2/15/07, 8:37 PM  
Blogger How do i get to my old stuff said...

pretty nice move, but being as your the elder bro, you probably have a lot to atone for .... at least that's what my little sis tells me.

2/15/07, 9:33 PM  
Blogger ~ lauren said...

you're a good big brother!

2/15/07, 10:43 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

sweet ride, chris. that was a nice thing to do. ride safe.

peace out, yo!

2/16/07, 4:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But, how are you going to feel the first time he drops you with the sweet new ride? :^)
Kidding aside, you are a good brother. And that really is a nice ride for a first timer; he had better live up to it!

2/16/07, 5:01 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Um, can I be your little Sis?? darn nice of you to take care of the little man that way - and if you're ever up here in the Great Mitten state - I'd take you out for ride -

2/16/07, 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice move broseph. Blood or not I know you've always got your brothers back. I still am indebted to you for helping me out with that highspeed chase in a "borrowed" truck with a concealed weapon misunderstanding.

Ride it up!

2/16/07, 8:10 AM  
Blogger Here and there said...

My first 10-spd EVER was a Motobecane, I was 16!! I rode that bike all over Seattle for years. I wish I still had it. Good luck little bro on the interview.

2/16/07, 8:50 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I REALLY could use a new, nice big brother...mine suck(ohh, did I type that out loud?? - baaaddd little sister)

2/16/07, 4:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jeff - Yeah, I knew it wasn't the original company and that they were just licencing the name and slapping it on their frames. I didn't know it was a Fuji frame. Thanks for the info.

Syd - more than you could ever guess. haha

Oldman - that very well may happen. I will have to stay on top of my game.

Alicia - of course you can be my little sis.

Sully - how were you to know that nunchucks in your boxers would be considered "concealed"

Thanks Cyndy.

Michelle - did you get whooped on??

2/16/07, 7:14 PM  
Blogger The Old Bag said...

What a nice thing to do for the little bro...after years of hand-me-downs IT'S ABOUT TIME!

:-]

2/18/07, 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home